1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Non-market apps

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by manic, Dec 29, 2009.

1. manic

Bronze

Nov 8, 2009

Sponsored Ad

Has anyone installed any nonmarket apps from the web? any good ones? Are they safe? How do you install them?

2. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    i have a few installed on my phone. i did have a bunch more, but they were older games that didn't take up the full screen so i uninstalled them.

they're as safe as anything else you download from the internet. if you're careful and know what and who you're getting them from then you should be fine. me, i just don't care so i'll try anything once.

usually they come as .apk files, sometimes zipped up. just download the .apk file to or sd card, or copy it there from your desktop and then using a file manager (i use astro) just open the .apk file. it will ask you if you want to open it with application manager, tap yes, and then it should give you the permissions and then you can install. easy peasy. if you want to uninstall just go to settings > applications > manage applications and uninstall.

have fun!

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. manic

Bronze

Nov 8, 2009
    I did a search and didn't find much. Except for leaked betas or maybe "adult" apps everything is offered on the market. One website asked my phone type to filter results. Included in those results was a Google app :032:question pretty pointless. The Flan Gallery is cool. I just don't like how it doesn't seperate pics from vids like the current gallery. Swype is sweet too, just need some time to get the hang of.

I am concerned about security. I don't want to break my phone. have you ever downloaded a virus or an app that messed up the phone?

5. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    well, i downloaded some otherwise paid apps from torrents and installed them. mostly games. like monopoly and such. i ended up uninstalling them because they were old and the graphics were bad on the hires droid screen.

i've downloaded apps that didn't work. and then just uninstalled them.

i've never downloaded a virus. i've been using winmo devices for 8 years and i've done some pretty crazy stuff with them, flashed new roms, bricked phones, installed every app i could get my gruby little hands on, and i have NEVER installed a virus.

i've also worked as a cell phone technician and there are only two viruses i've ever heard of on cell phones. one was a nokia virus that was transmitted thru a text message that would drain your battery fast. and the other is a virus on jail broken iphones that changed the wallpaper to some 80s pop star.

unless you have a rooted phone, which i do and i still ain't worried, then i wouldn't worry about installing a virus.

security on the other hand... just make sure you look at the permissions when you install anything. if it looks suspect, then don't install. that simple.