1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Note 3 / KitKat / Unlock issues

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by EQBob, Dec 12, 2014.

1. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007

Sponsored Ad

So my note3 updated to KitKat last night. Everything has been fine until I saw a message after I swiped my unlock pattern incorrectly that said do that 4 more times and we'll lock your @ss out. Set a pin. So I did that. Now, the phone only unlocks via a PIN and not the unlock. If I go into the settings to restore the pattern unlock, it says that option has been tuned off by an administrator. Which, since it's my phone, and not remotely managed by my IT department at work, doesn't make a lot of sense.

I fully want security on my phone, but I want my swipe patter back, not an PIN.

Or at the very worst, the option to change my PIN from what I put in. Can't figure out how to do that either.

Any help out there? I had no idea KitKat would do this.

2. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    Ok. So that solution is ultra bizarre. If you have a VPN connection set on your phone and set a PIN, apparently KitKat sets your security to be PIN, not Pattern. In order to reset it back to Pattern, you have to delete all VPN connections, unlock with PIN, confirm, then set up pattern lock again, then still setup a PIN in case you fail your pattern X times.

What a crock

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    But at least you figured it out and you were kind enough to share the solution!

Thanks Bob....Hope all is well....

5. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    Everything is fine. Just incredibly busy. I've got $15M in research I'm leading plus I'm technical lead on about another $3M more. Days are filled with meetings so night are filled with getting delivers les done! (G). The wife is good, pet sittings climbing towards 200 for Dcmber alone. Angie continues to recover, can even run now for short periods. Overall, life is fine...just busy. I do have a detached retina and can't see much out of my right eye, but they suspect another problem on top of that so I have to go see the #1 doc in the country in this discipline at the end of December before they cut.

6. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    Ok...what happened to the editing tools to fix spelling errors that I didn't carch from my iPads version of what I was typing vs. my brains version?

7. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Hold the cursor over the TOOLS box

8. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    All I get is "Report"

9. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Hmmmm...Do you see anything different for the post you did only two minutes ago? Maybe it expires after XX minutes?

Perhaps I see it because I am a mod.

Sorry....

10. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Weird you would see Report for your own post too! LOL

11. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    Maybe it wants me to report my own typing ?? LOL

12. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    Nope. Nothing different. Even came in and sat in front of the desktop. Still only see report. Maybe Chris will see this thread and chime in.

13. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    What browser are you using?

14. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    on iPad it was Safari, on desktop, IE. Just checked in Chrome and same thing. nothing appears on hover. Click and you get report.