1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Odd GPS position update/accuracy issue

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by EliseMe, Nov 15, 2009.

1. EliseMe

EliseMe New Member

Nov 7, 2009

Sponsored Ad

Upon arrival in the Seattle airport yesterday, I switched on my Droid and went to Google Maps, which showed me in downtown Paris, France! It showed me there until I got on my flight to leave; then it updated to Seattle (it seemed to be related to being in a completely different location in the airport). I got home last evening, and it said I was in South Carolina (I live in Florida). It also showed me ZOOMING over the map, not on roads, at a very rapid pace.

The only thing I can figure is there is some kind of glitch with the "use wireless networks" setting under the location settings. When it's acting like this and I uncheck this option, it doesn't find a GPS signal. So, I'm deducing that it is getting the data from the wireless network. Oddly enough, though, it shows an exact location (not the radius that it seems to show when your position is less certain) for these wildly incorrect locations.

Has anyone else noticed this? Got any ideas about what else it might be?

It is somewhat disconcerting because I'd like to move to using this as my GPS device when I travel.

2. gnath9

Silver

Feb 10, 2009
    Well ... the good news is Google knows about and is paying very close attention to the Droids problems and there is a very long list of corrections (or fixes) in the first OTA update on DEC 11th. If i can find that page again I will come back with a link for you.

3 more days !!!

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. krayzee

krayzee New Member

Dec 30, 2006
    I had the exact same thing happen on Saturday (Nov 14th) It drove me nuts. I, like you figured it was not using the GPS and was using the data connection for very unreliable results. It had me apparently on a speed boat in the mid Atlantic driving at approximately 7000 mph lol.... That was before it but me on a super charged four wheeler travelling off road through Alabama (i'm in Indiana) ... After 4 hours of messing with it and totally wiping the phone twice, i gave up and decided to return the phone the next day, luckily i decided to try again that evening and it was working. it's Monday now and still is working fine, so who knows.. i miss my speed boat though lol

5. EliseMe

EliseMe New Member

Nov 7, 2009