Galaxy Nexus ok. I bought a Nexus...so how do I .....? (?'s follow)

Discussion in 'Samsung Android Phones' started by EQBob, Mar 23, 2012.

1. EQBob

Silver

Lots of good info at this link, thanks! So far, been uber happy with this. The virtual keyboard is sooooooooooooo much better in this phone/android version. My mistakes (of which there were plenty) should go down...

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2014
  2. EQBob

Silver

Anyone using a holster for this phone? I have the Seidio holster for my Fascinate and love it, but the versions for this phone seem to all require you to enclose it in a case first.

3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. EQBob

Silver

Q9: I have a fave ring time (.wma). I sent it to myself in email. I download and saved the attachment on my Nexus. To where it saved it, I have _no_ clue. Can't find it, can't find a file browser type of all on it. How can I get that ringtone in someplace where the system will recognize it as a ringtone?

5. stevetaz

Did you look in the SD card, assuming you have one installed. How about just downloading again and this time direct it where to download so you can find it?

6. EQBob

Silver

Well, saving it from email didn't give me an option as to where to save it.
    I installed ES File Explorer, did a search for the file, found it, and copied it to a /sdcard/ringtones dir
    The system is not picking it up.
    I'm beginning to think that ICS can't play WMA files.
    Everything from Zedge is .mp3
    Converters on the net are $30+

7. stevetaz

How about installing to the root file:
    System > Media > Audio > Inside the Audio folder you will see 3 folders > ringtones, notifications and alarms
    Copy to Ringtones

At least that is how it is on Gingerbread.....

8. EQBob

Silver

Thanks Steve. I will try. I have to figure out how to get ES Explorer to get there. I don't know what all the icons mean <G>

9. stevetaz

Does this help?

• Like Like x 1
  10. EQBob

Silver

It did, thank you!

11. EQBob

Silver

Q10: Is there a ICS browser tutorial anywhere? I've googled for same, and didn't find much of anything other than a hint or two. I can get to and found bookmarks easily enough, can figured out how to delete useless (MSN!) ones, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to SET one.

12. EQBob

Silver

So I found a WMA to MP3 converter. Apparently ICS can't play WMA, although earlier Android did.
    Downloaded, installed, converted, sent to myself, saved attachment, found it using file explorer, copied it to /sdcard/ringtones and now it appears!

Thanks for the help!

13. stevetaz

Looks like the three dots would be the thing to press and a menu should pop up to offer choices. One looks like to add a bookmark for the page you are on. Look here...

14. EQBob

Silver

Worked like a champ Steve, thanks! Also see the request desktop site flag in there which is very nice to know also!
    Thanks!

15. stevetaz

Imagine if I actually had ICS....I would be dangerous!

:eek:

16. EQBob

Silver

Well, you're doing pretty good without having it!
    Apparently much better than me with it, although I learning.

17. dgray636

Bronze

You Steve? No, never. (Be careful of sarcasm dripping from my previous statement.)

Sent from my DROIDX using Everything Android

18. EQBob

Silver

Q11: Ok so I accessed my home WiFi from the phone. It LOOKS like it automatically switches to it whenever the phone is in range, switches to 4G when it isn't and back and forth so on and so on. If so, great. Cuz with WiFi and home and work, then I rarely need Data. Can anyone confirm this behavior?

19. dgray636

Bronze

That is the way it works for me. The only problem is when I go to a truckstop. You have to pay for wifi access there, so when I am not home, I just turn wifi off.

Sent from my DROIDX using Everything Android

20. EQBob

Silver

Kewl. Thanks! I also did my own test by walking outside, down the sidewalk, etc., then coming back in and it switched in and out flawlessly. Should be good for traveling. A lot of airports now have free WiFi. Although my iPad always seems to have trouble completing the connection.

21. sherri

Gold

Wi-fi works same way on Gingerbread. Once you connect to a network, phone (or tablet) "remember" it. If set to connect automatically, it will connect.

Perfect for tablet which is wi-fi only. I go to gym, tab connect to clubhouse wi-fi. Same at office, or library. I also have and account with optimum online (local cable provider), and they provide wireless access to most of Long Island. Very convenient so I don't need to use Starbucks wi-fi...or at friends homes so you don't need to ask for password for their network...

Sent from my DROID using Tapatalk