1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Ordered my AT&T Nexus One

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by chris, Mar 31, 2010.

1. chris

Administrator

Jun 1, 2006

Sponsored Ad

Finally got off the fence and ordered the Nexus One for use on AT&T. This will allow me to swap my SIM card between the iPhone 3GS and the Nexus One.

So excited to get this bad boy. Nothing from Google yet, but I'll be annoyed if it doesn't ship today for delivery tomorrow.

Spent some time with my G1 over the weekend. Given my heavy Gmail usage, I think the Nexus One will fill a nice void. I plan on using Google Voice with it also.

Nexus One, iPad. What a crazy week of technology for me.

2. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    awesome congrats
    also congrats on being able to give an ipad away at eIC!

i hope to join you in the nexus one goodness whenever vzw decides to let us play

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. chris

Administrator

Jun 1, 2006
    Thanks. Women who won it was thrilled. It's was pretty awesome to give away something that cool. I know I would be thrilled if I won something like it.

Waiting on Google to give me my Fedex tracking number, so I can obsess over it's every move. I test drove my G1 for a bit -- various apps. I just wanted to be sure I was comfortable before making the jump. The unlocked device is nice, since I will most definitely be switching back and forth with the iPhone 3GS.

The G1 was overmatched when it comes to Android 1.6 and running any sort of widgets. It was just too slow after I got it configured the way I like it.

Should be a fun day tomorrow...

5. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    fun for sure
    look forward to hearing your thoughts on it

6. chris

Administrator

Jun 1, 2006
    They toyed with my emotions. Ordered around 3:30 EST and one would think with Fedex overnight, it would show up today. As it turns out, it shipped this morning for an April 2nd delivery.

Tomorrow should be fun, followed by iPad fun on Saturday. Think I need to send my wife out this weekend with my charge card, so I can spend time with all this technology. Add one fantasy baseball draft to the mix for good measure. Oh yeah, it's going to be a kick ass weekend. Aren't the Yankees playing the Red Sox on Sunday night? Geez, can it get any better?

Let's just hope UPS and Fedex deliver.

7. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    hahah wow I am super jealous!!
    (not for the iPad though)
    sounds like you will be a busy guy

8. connnie

Bronze

Nov 6, 2009
    Congrats Chris! I hope you enjoy it. This will be a very exciting weekend. I am leaving on vacation tomorrow so while you play the "is that the sound of a Fed Ex truck coming" game, I will be at the Apple store near my hotel at @8:30am waiting for mine. I am curious to see how it goes. I got a confirmation email yesterday about my iPad reservation and there will be a special "line" for iPad people and training and workshops going on all morning if we are interested. I'm getting very anxious. I have my pink case ready that I ordered on ebay weeks ago. That's the first thing I packed today :dft012:wink !!

9. chris

Administrator

Jun 1, 2006
    Don't forget to enter the everythingicafe iPad Case "Pick To Win" Giveaway. We're giving away two iPad cases next Thursday. All you need to do is pick the case you want to win.

I get to play "wait for the Fedex/UPS" truck twice this week. Today for the Nexus One and tomorrow for the iPad.

Have a great vacation!

#8 chris, Apr 2, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
  10. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeell...........?

#9 n99hockey, Apr 2, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2014
  11. chris

Administrator

Jun 1, 2006
    Just did my unboxing video. It's charging... waiting for the "green" light. I should have never read the directions -- I'd be playing now.

Should have the video up tonight. Nothing earthshattering, especially considering there have been how many Nexus One's unboxed.

Device is super nice -- real slim. I haven't even powered it up yet.

12. bberryhill0

Silver

Feb 14, 2009
    A friend of mine needs to get a phone so I will be looking for your review.

13. chris

Administrator

Jun 1, 2006
    Not sure if I'm going to do a formal review, but I'd be glad to offer up my impressions. For me, it's a mixed bag. There's some good -- and definitely some bad.

The good...
    • Great forum factor
    • Nice build quality, feels like a well built phone
    • Feels fast navigating the UI
    • Stunning display (see cons for issues on this though)
    • Pinch to zoom in the browser
    • Internet is fast
    • Great Gmail client
    • Customization is easy, fun and makes for easy personalization of phone
    • Despite widgets abound on homescreens, the phone didn't slow down

Plenty of others, but these were the standouts for me.

14. chris

Administrator

Jun 1, 2006
    If you have any specific questions on the Nexus One, fire away.

15. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    whats the bad?

16. chris

Administrator

Jun 1, 2006
    There's bad and not so good. First off, the bad. It's nearly impossible to see the screen in sunlight. When I'm mobile, I'm mobile. If I'm strolling from my car to the supermarket, I'm usually checking emails, twitter, etc. I cannot get past the unlock screen because I simply cannot see the screen.

Now, the not so good. The on screen keyboard is okay, but not on par with the iPhone. Despite running on an iPhone site, I'm completely open to other platforms, but they need to deliver. The virtual keyboard on Android is second rate. Is it usable? Definitely. It's a notch below, but still good.

The screen at times is not responsive. I'll touch and at times it won't respond.

Selecting text or inserting my cursor within text is difficult.

The browser is fast, but I do notice what I wouldn't call a lag, but perhaps it not being a smooth as I'd like. Probably nitpicking here, but it's worth pointing out.

Finally, these issues (outside of the AMOLED screen outside) is more Android than Nexus One, but the apps are still behind what I've used on the iPhone and even the Pre.

To sum up, my issues are likely more with the software (which can be improved), rather than the hardware. If you love Android, you'll love the Nexus One.

17. chris

Administrator

Jun 1, 2006
    BTW, I have the same screen issues in sunlight with my Zune HD. Impossible to change tracks while poolside.

18. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    thanks Chris

you had a Droid too right? Did the screen become unusable outside or is it the AMOLED screen that does that?

19. rkcoll1

Bronze

Sep 23, 2008
    My Droid it kinda tough to see outside. Seems to be better with a screen protector tho. I think just the glossy glass screen really reflects the light and makes it harder to see at times.

20. chris

Administrator

Jun 1, 2006
    Been a while since I used the Droid, but I don't remember it being that much of an issue. I was just out with the Nexus One and it's even worse when there are fingerprints on the screen. Really bad and it's got me considering a return.

21. bberryhill0

Silver

Feb 14, 2009
    I have had no problems outside with my Eris but on screen keyboard was nearly useless until I installed Swype.