1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Pairing with a mobile phone

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by gino_76ph, Nov 5, 2010.

1. gino_76ph

gino_76ph New Member

Nov 5, 2010

Sponsored Ad

hi

i want to ask how do i tether an Android tablet with my Samsung Galaxy Apollo i5800 mobile phone in order to access the internet via the 3G/HSDPA network?

* i'm with T-mobile UK and have a quite "unlimited" internet on my tariff so i want to exploit that whenever i'm out and about in the country (not that i always do) or travelling to Europe

i rung Samsung and they seem to suggest that my phone is not capable of acting as a modem/access point in order to tether my Archos 70 tablet.

i rung Archos and further i was told that there is a way: i need an SSID number or code of some sort from my network provider in order for tethering to work.

is this true?

i then rung Orange (my network provider) and my issue went to the "2nd line" tech support team and they said "they don't support or have any information about the tablet" and if tethering is supported it is only with XP/Vista?Windows 7 devices.

its too technical but can you actually help me on this one please....

is there an app to help with tethering? i.e. freely and openly?

or shall i just wait for the 2.2 OS?

thanks.

2. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    You have to root your phone, and install Google Wireless Tether (or any other free one from the market) to allow wireless tether if your carrier does not provide this feature.

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. gino_76ph

gino_76ph New Member

Nov 5, 2010
    why do i need to root my phone? what is rooting anyway? its all too technical for me

can an app help me tether my phone to my tablet?

i heard 2.2 can help with that without changing anything to your phone?

5. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
  6. rasmith3530

rasmith3530 New Member

Sep 23, 2007
    You are probably having a problem in part because of your description. Tell your provider that you want to use your phone as a mobile hotspot.

An SSID is the name for an 802.11(x) WiFi access point. You've probably seen names like LinkSys or Belkin in Internet cafes.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Everything Android App