1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Please I really need help deciding. Please help me.

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by nanllyn, Jun 27, 2010.

1. nanllyn

nanllyn New Member

Mar 1, 2007

Sponsored Ad

First let me say, I'm sorry but I just can't make up my mind on what to do. Please give me your opinion on what you would do in my shoes.
    I have the Moto Droid. I love the phone but I'm having problems with it. People are complaining that there is such a shrill whistle like sound that they can't even talk to me. I don't hear it at all. I just did a exchange through my warranty but now people are complaining this new Droid is doing the same thing. I can't pinpoint why it is doing it as it is in my house but I'm not near any appliance and they aren't even on not even the tv when this happens so I think it is the phone. But what are the odds of two doing the same thing??!!
    Then I was using the Droid as my mp3 player but hated that every time a reminder, email, text and of course phone calls come through it interrupts the song. Of course I want phone calls but wish I could shut off the others while listening to mp3's.
    So I didn't like the Ipod Touch or Zune so I got an Archos 5 32GB with Android on it. Love the device but it has froze up on me a few times. Also it is about $450 with dock and 3 yr warranty. Works great as an mp3 player but expensive and being 5 inches not real pocketable. The only other reason for getting it would be to read books but having a hard time getting the books I download from the library aren't working at all. Love the device but it is basically the same thing as my Droid phone without the phone part and it is a much bigger screen. Almost seems silly to duplicate what I have but I needed a seperate mp3 player.
    So I think what about returning the Archos 5 (I only have like 3 more days to return it) and get the Droid X nice size screen but still pocketable and I can get it for $199. But then we go back to the interruptions while listening to mp3's and it is hard to use as gps and a mp3 player at the same time.
    So I know don't always like to answer questions like this but I really need help deciding. I don't want to miss out on the Droid X if that is my best option nor do I want a $450 Archos that I might not use that often because isn't not really pocketable.
    Please tell me what your opinion is. Do I keep the Archos 5 and my Droid? Do I return the Archos 5 and move to the Droid X? Or even move to the Droid X and look for another mp3 player?
    Thanks,
    Nancy

2. gnath9

Silver

Feb 10, 2009
    From the home screen ... menu > settings > sounds > notifications > select silent. That will stop the email and sms interuptions.

I really like the Droid X but, the motorola Droid is an awesome phone. I have rooted and have done baseband updates for the phones radio. That may help with you whistling but I am not sure as it could be a hardware issue.

So I think if your not comfortable with rooting your Droid I say go for the X !!!

Also ... Welcome to EA

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. Weapondrift

Gold

Feb 1, 2008
    One of the good things that Android has been able to do is allow for open source, meaning that you have access to everything that the device offers. With this said, roughly every android device is compatable with the next. (The incredible on the other hand seems to be a little more tricky) I would highly recommend the droid X for a few reasons.
    1) you get this sucker and youll be the only one on your block with the most awesome phone since the invention of the telegraph!
    2) 720p screen thats bright enough to make your eyes bleed! I want it!!!!!!!!
    3) I will become your new best friend. if THATS not motivation enough...idk what is.

5. impaler

impaler New Member

Mar 6, 2007
    I messed with the Droid X today and found it to be pretty neat, with a gorgeous screen, but a bit too big for my taste. I like a phone to be able to be used one-handed, and therefore went with the original Droid today. Love it. Perfect size and masculine, unlike the i-devices and other "pretty" phones. Plus there's just something about stock Android that I like so much more than the custom UIs.

6. My-Droid

Bronze

Jun 16, 2010
    Get a Droid. I had a droid and went back to a BB Storm2. I regretted it. I finally worked a deal to where I was able to get a Droid.

7. wrightperspective

wrightperspective New Member

Jul 31, 2010
    I had a Storm before, too and it was a whole new world with the Droid. The Storm was a feeble attempt.

8. darkdomino

darkdomino New Member

Jun 2, 2008
    I know what you are talking about with the shrill whistle. Is it almost a feedback noise? Anyway, I'm convinced that's a Verizon thing, because on about 2 rare occasions with my Motorola Q9C, I had the exact same thing happen. My theory is this noise is related to the 3G radio trying to transmit or receive data while initiating a phone call. Every now and then, it would try to force both down the pipe... and the results were not good.

I found that rebooting the phone fixed the problem. My Droid has never done this, but I think the concept is the same.