1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Porting SG3 from Verizon to AT&T

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by andyxxx, Aug 11, 2014.

1. andyxxx

andyxxx New Member

Aug 11, 2014

Sponsored Ad

Good day everyone!

I recently had my # ported from Verizon to AT&T. I have a Samsung Galaxy S3. Once ported, texting and calling both work fine; however, I can not get the data to work. I have full bars, but it doesn't say "4G" where it once used to. When I try to load a web page or app it says no internet connection can be found.

The AT&T sales person who ported my # said she has done it with S3 Verizon phones before but for some reason couldn't get it to work. I talked to Verizon and they said while the phone was unlocked, it hasn't been fully disconnected (even though my account was) and the system will fully disconnect my phone at the end of my next billing cycle, but that they couldn't guarantee the data would work after being fully disconnected.

I looked around on the site and the internet and I saw some people say Verizon phones are incompatible with AT&T network; and other posts say they have gotten it to work. So I am confused now.

On Menu...Settings...More Settings...Mobile Networks...Network Mode... It has GSM as an option but I tried selecting it but it still couldn't find the AT&T network.

Any help would be much appreciated!

2. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    As far as I know the two carriers have different technologies CDMA vs GSM and the bands they operate on are not the same. 4G phones do have SIM slots even for CDMA carriers like Verizon and Sprint, but that is strictly to access LTE. The Verizon S3 is probably considered a World Phone, but that gives it the ability to operate in other countries using Verizon's International data plans.

Inserting an AT&T SIM may give you basic services like calling and texting. Data is where you will have the problem. At best you can expect to get EDGE speeds if the data works at all. You will not be able to get 4G or even 3G.

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. andyxxx

andyxxx New Member

Aug 11, 2014
    So your saying there is no way to get AT&T data services on a Verizon phone?

5. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    I did not say that. You may get data, but the speed will never be faster than EDGE because of the operating band differences.