1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Possible to cancel service and use WiFi only?

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by chris, Nov 6, 2009.

1. chris

Administrator

Jun 1, 2006

Sponsored Ad

Just curious if it's possible to use WiFi only if I cancel my Verizon service. I know, I haven't gotten the Droid yet and thinking about canceling. The prospect of having AT&T, Verizon and Sprint is a bit overwhelming.

I know with the Palm Pre, you have to be a Sprint customer to work. There are some elaborate Linux hacks, but no easy road with that phone.

2. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    if it helps i have turned off the phone and used wifi only many times

if you buy the phone out right i dont see why not

-Sent from my Q9n

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. chris

Administrator

Jun 1, 2006
    I guess once it's activated, it should work. I don't know though with Android. My G1 works on WiFi only with no SIM card, but that phone is unlocked.

5. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    i was at best buy just now messing with the guys droid...and he said its unlocked
    no strings attached...totally open

-Sent from my Q9n

6. Neutrino

Bronze

Sep 30, 2009
    I think it should work. Not like an iPhone where it has to be activated before you can even use it as a WiFi only device.

7. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    or just jailbroken

-Sent from my Q9n

8. dragonfly

Bronze

Mar 27, 2007
    Interesting question and Idea. let us know how that goes for you cancelling your data plan and only using wifi. personally i like always being connected to the internet and tethering onto my laptop with that data connection so I wont be doing it :)

9. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    VZW just raised their ETF fees.

10. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    starting the 15th of the month...so if chris gets in before that he should be safe