1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Problem with Google Maps

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by johnnydangerously, Nov 6, 2008.

1. johnnydangerously

Bronze

Aug 20, 2006

Sponsored Ad

Is anyone having trouble with Maps? I wasn't able to get my location within car, so I tried with a clear line of sight to the sky. No luck. Walked around a bit and still no luck. Pulled my iPhone to compare and the iPhone was able to find me? Kind of surprised? I have to check my location settings. Might just be a user error on my part. If it is me, then I wish it would notify me to adjust my settings.

2. johnnydangerously

Bronze

Aug 20, 2006
    Pilot error on my part. You need to enable Wireless Networks option.

Still not thrilled with how the GPS performed today. It was not very close to my location at all.

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. macondo

macondo New Member

Oct 31, 2008
    You need to enable GPS too. Wireless Networks triangulation is not very accurate on its own.

5. gPhunk

gPhunk New Member

Nov 3, 2008
    I haven't had any challenges as of yet. But Android seems a bit quirky so it may have just been a momentary bug. Make sure you have "Enable GPS Satellites" checked within your Settings==>Security & Location Menu. My location is pretty spot on when I have that selected compared to just the "Use Wireless Networks" option (don't keep it checked as it drains the battery - but you already knew that I'm sure)

6. jigyasa

Bronze

Sep 21, 2008
    I had read in an article about the location feature comparisons of the iPhone and Android's gphone. It seems the iPhones scores better here as well. :)