1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Questions about Google Navigation

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by Salil Surendran, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Salil Surendran

Bronze

Aug 24, 2011

Sponsored Ad

Hello Friends,
    As much as I like Google Navigation, there are few things I just can't figure out :
    1. How do you setup Google navigation such that it finds the fastest path to your destination while considering traffic congestion?
    2. How do you setup Google navigation such that the direction I am headed is pointed upwards on the screen rather than North?
    3. How do you bookmark or set a location on Google Navigation?

Some other questions:
    4. Can I use any charger with a micro-USB like the charger for my bluetooth headset or verizon prepaid phone to charge by droid charge. It's output is 5V.
    5. Some apps like Google voice and Color Notes don't auto update even though I have set it to auto update?

2. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Once Navigation starts, hit menu, route info, the icon that has a line to a point and a second dashed line and that will give you alternate routes. To get traffic info hit menu, layers, and click on traffic view.

When using Google Navigation, it is always pointing upwards on the screen, are you sure your in Navigation and not regular Maps?

Pick the address, view it on the map, and then hit the star icon next to it, then it will be saved

I do, so far so good

Not sure, some of mine are checked and I have to manually hit update in the market...not a big deal for me really.

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. Salil Surendran

Bronze

Aug 24, 2011
    I am using Navigator and not regular maps. It is always oriented towards N.

5. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    When I use Navigation the map spins and rotates as I turn, does it not do that for you?

6. Salil Surendran

Bronze

Aug 24, 2011
    It does spin and rotate but it is always pointed North rather than pointing to where I am headed.

7. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    How can the map spin and rotate put still be pointing north? The arrow is always traveling upwards on the screen.

I am trying to understand, sorry.

8. Salil Surendran

Bronze

Aug 24, 2011
    Ye
    Yes. The arrow is always pointing North and is always travelling upwards. I don't want it that way I want the direction I am travelling to be pointing upwards and the arrow to spin.

9. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    I will test on my phone again when I drive home, there are no other options to turn it on or off so it SHOULD be doing what you described.

Map spins as you turn and compass spins as you turn

10. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    Compass points north. Map spins, and there is an icon showing your location. This icon turns as you do, but the main compass always shows "north" as "upwards". If you turn left, for example, and are now heading south on the road, icon of your location should be pointed south. North is usually shown as pointing up, like on a road map.

If you turn a paper map, north didn't change.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

11. Salil Surendran

Bronze

Aug 24, 2011
    That's why we don't use paper maps. Many GPS programs gives this functionality and I think when I first started using navigation it did then it stopped doing it.

12. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    I tested it out on the way home, map spins and compass spins...north is always the red arrow...I guess I just dont get what the issue is.

:(

13. Thebarron

Thebarron New Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Same here, the map is always orientated so north is at the top, it use to be orientated so that my direction of travel was at the top. So now if I am traveling West turns etc (left/right) are Up/Down the screen and if I am traveling South they are 180 degrees out although correct it makes for reading the map a lot less intuitave.

14. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    If your navigation offers 2D or 3D maps then try switching to 3D to see if your travel direction then shows at the top.

15. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    In Google Navigation or Maps?
    There is a difference....

16. Thebarron

Thebarron New Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Navigation

17. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    What phone and version of Android?
    I can't recall it ever not rotating the map when using it for driving directions on either of the 2 phones I have had. HTC Incredible and Galaxy Nexus

18. Thebarron

Thebarron New Member

Aug 27, 2012
    OK got a Galaxy Ace plus, it use to work up to a few weeks ago (not sure) only clicked on what was happening yesterday.

19. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Have you tried clearing the apps cache and saved data?

• Like Like x 1
  20. Thebarron

Thebarron New Member

Aug 27, 2012
    No I'll give it a go, thanks for the suggestion, bit busy at the moment will try later.

21. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    If you tap on the red arrow, does the view and North designation change?