1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

questions regarding start up of phone...

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by istetom, Feb 26, 2014.

1. istetom

istetom New Member

Feb 26, 2014

Sponsored Ad

I powered on my phone and it came on with a black screen and command prompts listed. I never saw this on my android before. It mentioned:
    Adb update
    Clear partition
    Report cache
    Sdk..
    Factory reset
    Etc, etc
    In order to get off that screen i took the battery out. It happened again, and i took the battery out again.
    What does this mean when that happens?
    Also when i ran a root ckr, it said busybox was installed, but phone not rooted.
    Im not a tech person, so i want to make sure my phone is not hacked or something.

2. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    What had you done before powering up the phone? Why did you have to power it off?

Sounds like you might be in some kind of engineering or root screen, but tell us exactly what you were doing before this happened.....

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. istetom

istetom New Member

Feb 26, 2014
    I wasnt do anything on the phone before but texting. I just powered down because I didnt want my phone on while driving somewhere ( long story).
    I also wonder what some apps are on my phone that seem odd, also i dont know why root ckr was saying busybox was installed.

5. istetom

istetom New Member

Feb 26, 2014
    I never heard of busybox so i dont know who installed it, or if it came on the phone when i got it.
    Plus when under all apps list, i see a lot of apps that i didnt install or that seem odd. I dont know what came on the phone to begin with so despite googling these app names, i havent figured out what some are for.

6. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    All I can tell you is that if you didn't try rooting it someone did.

Did you buy this new from a store or secondhand/used? I am going to guess you bought it used or through an auction of some type. How long ago did you buy it?

7. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    #6 sherri, Feb 26, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  8. istetom

istetom New Member

Feb 26, 2014

I got it for xmas brand new out of the box.

9. istetom

istetom New Member

Feb 26, 2014
    I tried root cker, it said couldnt root phone or locate superuser. But it said busybox was installed. Does that come on a new phone model n9810? Or did someone put it on. I dont even know what it does, so i didnt.

10. istetom

istetom New Member

Feb 26, 2014
    I just really need help in getting to the bottom of whether or not someone tried or is trying to root the phone or hack it. I dont know how to tell for sure. I just know the app list under 'all apps' have many items that seem odd, but I am not sure. I dont know why root cker says busybox was installed. I dont know why all of those command prompts came on when i powered on those times, mentioning adb update, debug report, sdk, etc.

11. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Did you possibly try downloading or installing the Android SDK to try developing your own applications or to learn more about development?

12. istetom

istetom New Member

Feb 26, 2014
    Not at all...before i saw those command prompts mentioning adb, reports, debug, sdk...i previously had no clue what that meant. I had to look each thing up. I am not a tech person at all. Thats why i need help to find this out. Only one other person has access to my new phone. He is very techy.
    Also recently under 'connect to pc' option all of the options are available now, and i thought they were grayed out unavailable before. The 'mtp' option was chosen, and then i saw the debugging was turned on.
    Please help me figure out what happened. Did someone install adb drivers?

13. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Did you ask that one other person who has access to your phone and is very techy? These items do not install themselves......

14. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    You can always Factory Reset the phone. My daughter likes to use my tablet, so I installed a separate "guest" profile for her (like a "guest account" on a Windows PC). She can't get to system stuff without my permission or password, but can install free games from the play store...

This may keep your "techie" friend away...

15. istetom

istetom New Member

Feb 26, 2014
    I was just hoping he didnt do it and that maybe the phone came with these things installed...thats what i wanted to verify that the issues im encountering or things installed didnt come on the phone already.
    Then i could overlook it all...

16. istetom

istetom New Member

Feb 26, 2014
    Will factory reset undo all of these adb, sdk, busybox installations? Or will it unroot the phone if it was rooted?

17. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    Completely wipe and Factory Reset puts your phone in the state it was in "out of the box". If rooted, you will lose root. If pictures and music are not on the SD card, you will lose them as well. If you have games on your SD card that contain data (which does not store on SD card), you will lose that data.

All the apps you downloaded from the play store can be reinstalled from there, except (as I stated) the data.

If you are really unsure about these apps and issues on your phone, factory reset is what I would recommend.

18. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Remove your SD card before you factory reset....

19. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    Depending on what is showing on there, I would copy SD card to pc, then wipe it as well. For example, on my phone, to get custom recovery (which is recommended if you root and want to play with different ROMs as this phone has a locked bootloader...) I installed a Safestrap recovery. But it is on my SD card. So... If I wanted to make sure my phone looked the day it did when I got it, I would erase that as well.

Only thing on there that is irreplaceable are pictures or documents. They can be saved elsewhere. All apps downloaded from play store are still available in your Google account.

20. istetom

istetom New Member

Feb 26, 2014
    Thank you for all your help, i will reset.

21. istetom

istetom New Member

Feb 26, 2014
    Thank you so much for answering my many questions, it forced me to learn more about the phone and protect it more.