1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Recommended: App to kill boredom in traffic lights!

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by saharh, Aug 25, 2013.

1. saharh

saharh New Member

May 6, 2012

Sponsored Ad

Hi

I've developed an app for Android that lets you enjoy the time you wait in traffic lights and traffic jams.
    The app will show you videos while driving but ONLY when you're not moving (speed is 0). Whenever you start driving, the current video will be paused, and continue again when you stop.

That way you won't even notice how time flies when you're waiting in traffic! You wouldn't even mind it as much as you do today!!

Please give me your thoughts, and enjoy, its totally free, no ads too!

[Link Removed By Mod]
    (someone post link for this please, I can't)

Please support developers like me who give this for free and try the app!!

Sahar.

#1 saharh, Aug 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2013
  2. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Absolutely ridiculous and can only lead to trouble. Another reason for drivers to not pay attention to traffic devices and vehicles around them?

Bah!

Just my opinion of course.....

And since app promotion is no longer permitted I have removed the link for you.....

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. saharh

saharh New Member

May 6, 2012

There are a lot of people who think that waiting in traffic jams and traffic lights is a waste of time, and one of them thought of making an app to make use of this time. If you think it distracts you and negatively affects your driving - you don't have to use it, but you may at least give it a try before deciding that beforehand.

I've worked day and night preparing this app, I'd at least expect some recognition, where else could an indie , 0 budget, developer like me promote this app if not in forums like these?

Sahar.

5. dgray636

Bronze

Aug 22, 2010
    As someone with actual documentation to show that I have driven 1.5 million miles over the last 11+ years, I agree. When traffic is clogged up, you need to pay attention. You never know when things will break loose, or if emergency vehicles may need through. Just because you are not moving, it doesn't mean you aren't driving. BTW, law enforcement also looks at it that way.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Everything Android

6. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    While I can appreciate the desire to develop an app, all you are doing is increasing the danger to yourself and others. Consider that while your attention is on a video, your attention is lagging on the road. So someone behind you starts when you don't and an accident occurs. How accurate is your app for movement? What is the threshold of speed. It most likely isn't truly zero, so you could be inching forward and be distracted and cause an accident.

Did you know that a leading research agency recently published a report showing that texting is 4x as likely to lead to distraction and delayed response? Did you know that on one interstate in Texas alone, there were 20 rear-end collisions in the past two months on one section of road, 4 miles long, from construction related delays? An app that increases distraction is not going to help that. You will indirectly, be responsible for injuring more people and causing more damage.

People also think that their time waiting at lights is longer than it really is. At most lights, most cycles, except for perhaps in major cities, you're typically waiting for less than 90 seconds. I live in a joint city with a combined population of nearly 250,000 and the cycle time on most lights is 90 seconds.

Perhaps your skills could be better used to take an approach to increase traffic safety instead of decreasing it. Develop an app that speaks incident alerts from twitter feeds using parsing on key words. Most transportation agencies are trying to put out twitter information on incidents, traffic backups, etc.

7. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    In your documentation for your app, you may want to alert potential users of sites where they can look,up driving laws, since as dgray mentioned, law enforcement most certainly will not take the excuse of I was bored and therefore watching a video.

Many years ago, I was driving on interstate 80 in PA. I can at the back of a construction queue. I sat. I paid attention, enough so that that when I was doing a mirror scan, I noticed a RAPIDLY moving vehicle encroaching on me and not slowing in the least. In front of me was my wife, driving her cancer stricken father home from treatment. In front of her was an 18-wheeler. I saw the vehicle in my mirror, blared the room, and motioned frantically to my wife to peel off to the side. We did and the encroaching vehicle never slowed, only at the last minute, peeling off to the closed left-lane and skidding to a stop into the median. Drunk as all get out. Had I been watching a video using your app, I'd be dead...as would my wife, her father, and maybe more.

I know you can't control how someone uses your app, but really...do you want that kind of incident on your conscience? Your app is made solely to increase driver distraction. Nothing good can come of it.

8. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    I do not disagree many people think waiting in traffic or at lights is a waste of time. Many people think speed limits are a waste of time. Just because you or others think it is a waste of time doesn't mean that time should be filled up with something that takes attention away from the task and responsibility of driving. Bob and Darren have both done a great job of presenting facts and statistics along with anecdotal stories regarding distracted driving and if that doesn't get your attention nothing will.

One of the biggest problems I have is your attitude when you say "If you think it distracts you and negatively affects your driving - you don't have to use it". You don't seem to recognize that I choose to not add distractions to a very serious responsibility....My safety and the safety of those around me. I am not the problem. It is the mental midgets around me who think they can watch videos, read a paper, put on makeup, etc while they are driving a 1 1/2 ton projectile. You sir feel you have to use your talents to create something to provide relief from boredom while driving? Those other people around me can choose to take the responsibility seriously or not. The problem is if they don't it doesn't just affect them. My wife, my child, your family, Bob and Darren's families may just be the victim of their inability to focus on what should be an easy thing.....They are behind the wheel of a potential weapon and that is what should be the only thought.

I do recognize the talent and intelligence it takes to create applications and I applaud you for that. I can only ask you use some of that intelligence to really examine what you are offering people as an alternative to paying attention to what they should be paying attention to....The roads and all the hazards that go along with them. There are those who still seem to believe they can multitask when they drive and giving them something like this only reinforces their misguided belief.

Again, just my opinion.......