1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Recreating Android L On Moto X

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by chris, Jul 8, 2014.

1. chris

Administrator

Jun 1, 2006

Sponsored Ad

I'm super jealous of those running Android L. I realize that sometime, way in the future, Motorola will release an update for the Moto X. It makes me miss the Nexus 5. In any event, I'm trying to recreate the look. So far, I've added the Android L theme with Nova Launcher, the Android L keyboard, a dialer app and the Moonshine icons. Everything mentioned is free, save for Nova Launcher.

It looks pretty good. Really looking forward to Android L. Normally I would have moved on to a new phone by the time Android L is released for the Moto X, but I'm sticking with this phone for a bit, considering its custom build.

Have you tried to recreate the Android L look on your phone?

2. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    I have been using the Nova Beta L along with the Moonshine icons and wallpaper. I definitely like the look of the icons, but I do have one complaint. The messaging app icon no longer displays the number of unread messages. However that is a minor complaint.

I was unable to find the Android L ported keyboard referred to in this article. The link does not work. I did find this Android L Keyboard in the Play Store, but the reviews made me back away.

Have you looked at Flotify for notifications? I only installed it a day ago and I am still playing with the settings, but it looks good so far....

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. TarekElsakka

Bronze

Oct 27, 2012
    I have tried doing that on my HTC but to be honest I always found any launcher besides the stock (Sense in that case) to be rather buggy and sluggish, especially when you tap the home button and the device starts to get confused (unless you freeze the stock launcher using titanium backup). I am willing to give it another shot, though, and yes I cannot wait for Android L either, especially after running ART for a while now and noticing how amazing and snappy it is despite not being official or default for HTC yet.

@stevetaz I've been running Metro Notifications for a long time now and I love it. I tried several other apps but I always go back to Metro. Maybe you should give it a shot?

5. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    TarekElsakka, nice to see you come by. Hope all is well.

I will take a look....Had you tried Floatify too?

6. TarekElsakka

Bronze

Oct 27, 2012
    Nice to see you here, Steve. I haven't tried Floatify and I am thinking of giving it a shot because I just love trying new apps. I know I'll eventually go back to Metro Notifications, though, because it's the least buggy and most efficient one I've used so far - others seem to have problems a lot of times.

7. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Give it a shot and let us know how Floatify compares to Metro Notifications....

8. TarekElsakka

Bronze

Oct 27, 2012
    I know this is rather late but I came to say that Metro Notifications is still my favorite notifications app. I used Floatify for around two days but I was unimpressed with it and I found that it sometimes lags and doesn't do its functions efficiently. Metro Notifications is still the most complete and stable app for me.

9. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    I suppose I have to try Metro Notifications now....

Thanks for the update Tarek...

10. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Downloading....Interesting. Metro Notifications is a hefty 9.2MB. Floatify was 1.7MB.

I never saw any lag in Floatify and I am not sure what you mean by not doing its functions efficiently. I got a message and I got a notification. Pretty simple.

11. TarekElsakka

Bronze

Oct 27, 2012
    I don't remember quite well exactly what problems I had with Floatify but I am sure I had some annoying bugs which made me remove it. I believe one of them was getting notifications from an app while it is in the foreground, and another was dismissing the notification popup yet keeping it in the notification pulldown. I believe I enabled those in Floatify's settings but it still didn't work that way.