1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Request for information for several different phones.

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by Kaden, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Kaden

Kaden New Member

Sep 25, 2012

Sponsored Ad

This is quite a lengthy request. I work in the IT/Helpdesk for a staffing company. The company has several employees remote and here in the home office that have android phones for their business phone. Some used as hotspots and what not. The issue is that we are about to go through a domain migration. This migration is changing the email address domain for everyone in the company. Vast majority of our employees are using a phone on 2.2 or 2.3. In most of these cases I have run into so far, any one on 2.x will have to reset their phone to factory defaults to wipe the default account, to set up an account with the new domain. It is a bit taxing of a process, and stepping someone through this over the phone isn't exactly hard, but time consuming. Depending on who I am speaking with, I am looking at upwards of 45+ minutes to get the full process done per person. We have 4, sometimes 5 people to complete this task for all of our colleagues with android phones, which amounts to 150+ people. All of our phones are stock OS, no rooting or custom ROMS. To help keep as many calls off our back over the next few weeks, I am trying to gather step by step instructions for each of the following phones that the company has issued to employees. To get to the final point, If any one has any of the following phones on standard OS, I am hoping I can get exact wording and process to back up contacts, preferably to SD card and google. Next, would be to either change the default account for 4.x or to reset the phone to factory settings, 2.x. I really don't want to ask any users to actually go through the process of actually resetting the phone, but if someone is willing to do so, then please post the step by step of the account set up as well. Exact verbiage is important.

So far I have gathered the phone, what I believe should be the model number, and what I found to be the latest OS.

Droid Atrix 2 - (Model: mb865): 2.3.6?

Droid Bionic - (model: XT875): 2.3.4

Droid EVO - (Model APX325CKT): 2.3.3

Droid Incredible - (Model ADR6300VW): 2.3.4

Droid Pro/XPRT - (model XPRT) : 2.3

Samsung Galaxy S II (model SPH-D710) : 2.3.6? Soon to be 4.0 or 4.1

HTC Thunderbolt(model B005ML7OWO): 2.3.4

HTC Rezound (model B0061R3DVO): 2.3.4 or 4.0.3

Samsung Charge: 2.3.6

Samsung Nexus : 2.3.6?

Samsung Nexus S: 2.3, soon to be 4.1

I've found that any phone on 4.x does not need to be reset to factory settings to either add and change an account, or just even clear the initial account and set up a new account. I am aware that for the most part, the process will be very much the same, but I am taking in to consideration that if the verbiage is not 100%, my coworkers are going to get very confused

Thanks much in advance

2. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    If contacts are Google contacts, they will restore as soon as user logs in with Google information. Log into Google account from pc to check. Most people using android have contacts automatically sync. If user has a contact on phone that doesn't show in Google account, it usually means it was added as a phone contact only. Add it to Google contacts.

As for upgrading 2.x to 4.x, it isn't possible on all phones. Easiest way to check is from the main screen, tap: menu/settings/see if there is an update available. However, on an unrooted phone, if an update is available, phone is usually notified....

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    I am a bit stunned at the lengthy list of phone models accessing the network. Are these provided by the company or do they allow users to bring their own?

Regarding the domain change and default email change, is this an Exchange Active Sync setup for each user?

5. Kaden

Kaden New Member

Sep 25, 2012
    These are just the 2.x phones that have been issued. some phones only have been issued to maybe 2 or 3 people. Other phones, like the DroidX we have 30+ users, which is a phone I have here with me. Having hands on access, I was able to get the step by step instructions easy enough. But yes, at least 1 of all the phones listed have been issued by the company to one of the ~150 employees.

The email we use is the google apps. Hence huge list of android phones and the need to default/reset the phone to factory. The migration we are going through is also enabling or enforcing the Google Apps Device Policy.

*Also most of these are on VZW, upon start up of the phone, they are set up the back up their contacts using Back Up assistant, which unless the user set up the phone to back up to google upon first set up of the phone, they continue to back up to the vzw back up assistant. Many of these have been set up over a year ago and have likely lost the back up assistant pin, hence the need to back them up on the sd card.

6. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    I am not an administrator so perhaps I am ignorant to the nuances, but why can't you just set up a new email account on the phone and go into the email general settings to mark that new account the default?

If backup Assistant is an app can't that be deleted or modified if you want to keep it, but change some settings?

Coming form a corporate environment it is odd to me to see so many different models of phones being distributed. I would think someone should get a handle on it and select one or two models to be issued just to make the IT/Communications Admin side a bit less challenging......

7. Kaden

Kaden New Member

Sep 25, 2012
    with android 2.x, you can't change the default account. To set up a different email as the default account, the phone must be reset.

As far as the phone distributed. We tend to have a lot of ego... people wanting the latest and greatest.

8. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    I am on 2.3 (GB) and can designate an account as the default.