1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Restoring to default

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by Alkali, Dec 26, 2010.

1. Alkali

Bronze

Dec 17, 2010

Sponsored Ad

How do i restore millions of programs and settings if i where to reset to factory default?

2. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    Do you want to save anything? What about SD card? Resetting Android is a piece of cake, but make sure of what you want! I am here if you need help!

Sent from my Droid using Everything Android App

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    Sorry....just reread original question. Easiest way to save programs is by copying them to a folder on pc. I copy everything, including as card.

Some say to sync with AppBrain Market, but I haven't had much luck with that. Photos & music are on storage card. Although the Market should have copies of your paid apps and will restore free apps, I am not that trusting!

If you want to save/restore SMS, apps called SMS Backup Restore does this. I also use an apps called SMS backup, which saves all sms in my gmail account. (Can't be put back on phone, but why waste that space anyway?)

You can save homescreen settings and icons onto as card, depending on the launcher you use...

5. Alkali

Bronze

Dec 17, 2010
    Let me explain further.With windows pocket pcs and iphone there is always a way of backing up the whole content and later restoring incase of Hard Resetting or even lost of a device.Within minutes you get everything back.That's what i mean.

6. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    You need to root your device and perform a nandroid backup from recovery.

7. Alkali

Bronze

Dec 17, 2010
    Me,ROOT.What on earth is this man saying? Please explain further!

8. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
  9. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    There is an app (also for WM) called My Back Up Pro that does this. Stores everything in the "cloud".

However, if you copy everything to pc, should work the same way. (Probably a few more steps to restore....) All contacts are stored in Gmail...pics/music on sd card. Every time I reset my phone, all apps downloaded from market are "automagically" restored. I always back up apk files to sd card, so non-market apps can be reinstalled with 2 clicks!

If I really like my "set up", I will back up homescreen settings as well. The app I mentioned looks great, but I don't have a credit card, so, as they say, necessity is the mother of invention!

10. Alkali

Bronze

Dec 17, 2010
    Or like my wife says "write everything on a paper and visit the market all over again. But that will be going back to 70's.

Sent from my Desire HD using Everything Android App

11. Alkali

Bronze

Dec 17, 2010
    I really like your suggestions but how to do all that ,Sherri?

12. bberryhill0

Silver

Feb 14, 2009
    There are lots of options. My Backup Pro works well. It has a 30 day free trial.

eStrongs and Astro will backup .apks to SD.

AppBrain has a quick install add on that I haven't tried.

Has anyone figured out if nandroid backups can be moved to a replacement phone?

Swyped from my Eris running xtrSense 3.

13. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Good question, not sure if nandroids can be moved, although, if you get another device that is the same it was made on I dont see why not.

14. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    If rooted, Titanium Backup also does all user apps.

Easiest way to copy from phone to pc would be via the USB cable. Mount it, and drag and drop. I have a Windows pc, so I made a folder called "Droid" on it. Copied the entire phone to it. Can use Double Twist for music, or as I said, music is on sd card by default.

Once phone is "cleared", you will be asked to re-entet Google account info. The "clearing" will not erase sd card, unless you choose to reformat this as well. (I actually remove mine, just in case!)

When phone reboots, OS and standard apps are reinstalled. After logging in to Google, contacts will sync, as will apps from market. (Both paid and free.....only ones that will not sync are those from other sources.) Those will now be on pc, if you made the suggested file folder! Can reinstall via drag and drop, or, if you did not reformat the sd card, they can be accessed on phone through a file manager.

I had my WM phone and DREADED the Master Reset as if it were the plague! Never hacked it or did anything other than install apps and change homescreens. With this, I finally rooted and have installed a few custom ROMs. With each ROM, phone was wiped and cleared. Biggest pain was deciding on which launcher to use!

Trust me, if I can do this (and these guys know me over 3 years!), it isn't that hard! I am on gtalk if needed, or here, as always!

15. Alkali

Bronze

Dec 17, 2010
    Sherri you are a darling! Whatever i was doing yrs ago in other places? And pls your gtalk address pls.

16. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007