1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Ringtone

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by Andriod Newbie, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Andriod Newbie

Bronze

Dec 10, 2011

Sponsored Ad

This is a little thing but important. I like to set my phone so my hubby had his own ring tone. When i first got the phone it worked...contacts were imported. I accidentally deleted him, added him manually and now it doesn't work. I deleted again and reentered and it still won't accept it alto it says it is set correctly it doesn't do what it says. I got the ringtone from zedge. Is that the issue? Any ideas? I know it worked in the past. So frustrating to have to keep looking at my phone when my hands are full to see if my hubby is calling.

Sent from my LG-MS910 using Everything Android

2. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    Depends on where your contacts are. If your base is outlook, it doesn't allow differentiating ring tones. If you use something else, maybe? Can't speak to the others... I use outlook at work and everything synched to that system...so no different ring tones for me either.

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    I just tested this and I changed the ringtone for my daughter within her contact on the HTC Phone. I had her call me and the ringtone changed from the default with no problem.

I sync with Outlook at work so I can't speak to why either one of you can't change...I am on an HTC EVO 4G, Gingerbread.

5. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    OP, does that ringtone you are trying to use play when you are in the Sound setting screen?

6. Andriod Newbie

Bronze

Dec 10, 2011
    Yes the ring tone plays when i am setting it. I did a sync st setup but not continual sync and i don't have outlook. I think it synced with Facebook and gmail originally. It did work until i accidentally deleted him add a contact. If i try and sync it again will it delete those i added since them or just make them match?

7. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    I don't know how you have your sync set up, but I wonder if removing the battery from your phone and replacing it might reset the system and capture the change you are trying to make. That is a trick that worked for many funky behaviors in BlackBerrys.

You are changing the ringtone from within your contact, yes? Does it seem to accept it, but doesn't play the new ringtone, doesn't play any ringtone or plays the default ringtone? After making the change if you look at the ringtone set for that contact does it show the new one or the default?

8. Andriod Newbie

Bronze

Dec 10, 2011
    I set the ringtone from within the contact. The new tone stays listed, but ya...it just doesn't use the new tone, it uses the default instead. I could try the battery thing...might work...i dunno

9. Andriod Newbie

Bronze

Dec 10, 2011
    :-(

10. Andriod Newbie

Bronze

Dec 10, 2011
    Tried pulling the battery...set hubbys contact to default them re set to the custom ringtone and...stayed but rings default. Sigh

11. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    Where are the ringtones stored? Use a file manager to see. Mine are in a folder called notifications. Make sure phone is reading correct area.

Not sure why it would play correctly when you set it, but revert when a call comes in...

Sent from my DROID using Tapatalk

12. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    Maybe it is different in the Outlook app you are using? What app are you using to sync with Outlook? The base Android capability? (I am using Touchdown) You couldn't have changed your contact in Outlook, because Outlook doesn't even have that capability, so where did you change it?

13. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Changed on the phone in the contact. People > Open the contact > Scroll down to Ringtone > Change it there (NOT through Edit Contact)

Corporate phone using Exchange ActiveSync.

14. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    Interesting. I don't have a "People" I have "Contacts", but there is nothing in my contacts that even has a section on Ringtones. Maybe this is a difference by phone and not Outlook as I had read?

15. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    This could certainly be a part of my ignorance and inexperience with Android. My HTC EVO4G is the only Android I have ever seen or used. It is running Gingerbread 2.3.3 and is stock, not rooted. It was provided by my company so I don't know if they did anything special to set up, but I would tend to doubt it. We are using Activesync on an Exchange Server (wireless autosync) and my PC has Outlook 2010 as the client for email, contacts, calendar, tasks, etc. I have just finished my first week using Android so I have a great deal to learn.

The desktop icon is labeled "People". Each individual contact that I open up includes a couple of sections. The first is labeled "Action" It is populated based on what I have entered for that contact. For example, if their information includes an email address and a telephone number I will see actions such as "Call Mobile", "Call Home", "Send Message" (text), "Send Mail", etc. The next section is labeled "Information" and includes "Notes" (if I included any in the contact), "Organization" (if I set one up), "Group" (if I set one up), "Send to Voicemail" (an interesting option), "Edit" and "Ringtone". I select the Ringtone option to make the change detailed above.

I looked quickly for a free Screenshot application to send a picture, but they all seemed to be for rooted phones or charged $5, which I refuse to pay. If I find a free one and can get it together I will post a picture.

16. Andriod Newbie

Bronze

Dec 10, 2011
    Ok...i will research that too. I know huh? Its do weird and annoying! Lol

17. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    Well, we're definately in the same "area". On my phone, Contacts, pulls up tabs of Info, History, Activities, and Media. Under Info, I have many of the same capabilities and listings as you, emails, phone information, etc. I do not have a Ringtone function however. So perhaps this is indeed, different by phone/manufacturer.

Also, I searched for some MS responses and found:
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...bile-faq/a7d8a5c9-b728-4756-a9ed-e7fc825d5895 (about 1/2 way down under Contacts)

It certainly appears that I was wrong in what I thought. My apologies for conveying incorrect information.

On the screenshot deal, try this:
    http://forums.everythingandroid.org/threads/sreenshots.3206/#post-16667

18. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Screenshot didn't work....Thanks anyway.

19. Andriod Newbie

Bronze

Dec 10, 2011
    What's funny is now i can give my hubby his own text ringtone...but still not for calls. My daughter has her own ringtone too..so wierd. ooh well...we text more then call anyway

20. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007

Steve, I think your phone can take screenshots natively....

http://droidlessons.com/how-to-take-a-screenshot-on-the-evo-design-4g/

Sent from my DROID using Tapatalk

21. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Thanks sherri, but that is a different model. The EVO DESIGN 4g. Mine is a plain EVO 4g.

Sent from my PC36100 using Everything Android