1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Rooting a Galaxy Gio 2.2.1

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by Dag Gummit, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Dag Gummit

Dag Gummit New Member

Oct 8, 2012

Sponsored Ad

Hey everyone,

I tried posting this up on another Android related forum a couple days, but I figure I should diversify my potential audience. (y)

I have recently received a Galaxy Gio 2.2 Froyo from a Chinese roommate who moved out (for free no less -- and it actually was a gift), though I am having some significant troubles trying to tap into its fullest potential.

Basics of the phone:
    - Galaxy Gio (China)
    - Model GT-S5660
    - 2.2.1 Froyo
    - 2S5660ZCKG1 Baseband
    - 2.6.32.9-perf se.infra@SEP-50 #1 kernel (after attempting to root and I'm kind of somewhat pretty sure that's not a root-accessible kernel... if that makes sense =/)
    - China Mobile SIM with no service, but I do have wi-fi access

Other possibly important data:
    - I do have another, unrooted Android phone
    - I do not own a Windows computer and run exclusively on Mac OSX 10.7.5 and Ubuntu Live CDs

Process of how I dealt with things:
    Even though I can't read Chinese worth a &$@!, I knew enough about maneuvering the settings to change the language to English.

I tried to root it with instructions I found and the kernel never changed. I proceeded to factory reset the phone (stumble my way through settings to change the language again), and then tried a different set of instructions on rooting a Gio with Froyo with the same results.

From this point, I've thought about trying to a find a terminal or rootchecker-type app, but haven't been able to since the phone doesn't have Google Play, but some kind of (Chinese? >.>) App Market.

Ultimately, I'm seriously wanting to root this baby so that I can get a gingerbread or jellybean ROM on it and have some real fun, but have been at a real roadblock with this and would appreciate any help.

Thank you all,
    DJ

2. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Not sure what you tried, but I suggest XDADevelopers for the details. This thread is about the Gio. It has lots of comments and posts and also references an alternate post that is even more detailed.

I have no rooting experience to give any guidance.

3. Sponsored Advertisement