1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Rooting and Future Android Updates

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by Dazz7, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Dazz7

Dazz7 New Member

Jul 31, 2012

Sponsored Ad

Hello all,

I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 which runs Android Ice Cream Sandwich (v4.0).

I would like to use Titanium Backup, but it requires root.

If I root my Galaxy, when Samsung release Android Jelly Bean (v4.1) for the phone, will this prevent me from a simple system update?

Will I have to un-root the phone and then update and then root the phone again?

Very new to Android, thanks for the advice

Dazz

PS I did search the forums but did not find an answer this question.

2. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    If you root your phone, you will not lose any OTA access. However, if you Root and make any ROM changes that will make you lose OTA ability.

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. Dazz7

Dazz7 New Member

Jul 31, 2012
    Thanks Scott,

I've had a search and it seems Titanium Backup does not directly alter the ROM. Can anyone confirm this or add more information?

Dazz

5. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    No it just backs up data or removes system apps.
    However, if you remove systems apps, I have run in to the issue of incremental OTAs from carriers not working properly. Seems as though they look for apps and system files to replace and if they aren't there it can sometimes not install the update.

6. Dazz7

Dazz7 New Member

Jul 31, 2012
    Thanks for the info.

I ordered my Galaxy S3 from Kogan and the one I received was setup for a French speaker. I have 9 pre-installed French appz. After I root and install Titanium Backup, I don't think I will remove these French app, but will freeze them (an option in TB).

Dazz

7. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Good deal, enjoy!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Dazz7

Dazz7 New Member

Jul 31, 2012
    Like button activated... didn't know about this feature, thanks for letting me know.