1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Rooting my Fascinate

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by wafwot, Nov 15, 2010.

1. wafwot

wafwot New Member

Nov 15, 2010

Sponsored Ad

I downloaded and installed the Z4root.apk. It is running now or at least it is running the exploit. How long does it normally take to root a phone? I have about 13 of the 16GB SD card filled if that makes any difference. It seems to be taking way too long and I'd be afraid to force a restart if it is in the middle of rooting.

Any thoughts on how long it normally takes to root?

2. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Shouldnt really take all that long, it doesnt really do anything to your SD card anyways.

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    Using this method? With the latest in the market, "root" itself took about 2 minutes! (Download app/open app/tap "root"/phone reboots!)

5. wafwot

wafwot New Member

Nov 15, 2010
    After an hour I took out the battery to get it to reboot (it was locked up). It restarted and thankfully isn't a brick!
    I probably should have restarted the phone first to clear out the cobwebs before rooting.
    I'm now on my second attempt. The clock is locked up (maybe this is normal) and is now at five minutes....arrrrrgh!

6. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Doesnt sound normal... :/

7. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    Did you get the app from the market of from XDA? For some reason, the XDA site gave me trouble (and I took Xanax...). Market version did not work at first with the Droid (original). Gave superuser icon, but wasn't able to use any applications needing root. Was fixed. Make sure you download the latest version from the market.

8. wafwot

wafwot New Member

Nov 15, 2010
    Second attempt also locked up. I had to take out the battery again to reboot. This time it showed I had a blank SD card...NNnnnooooooooooo!!!
    I rebooted again, the card came up this time. I ran Advanced Task Killer and killed everything and ran Z4root again. This time it only took a minute or less and rebooted itself. So far, so good!
    When it came up after restarting itself, the root wasn't active (app showed 'root' screen rather than 'unroot').
    I'll keep playing with it. At least my phone isn't a brick and I didn't lose everything on my SD card. Whew!

9. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Check your app drawer and see if you have superuser in there. If so then your all set.

10. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    Nope, Scott. Not true. I had the SuperUser icon there. Root apps (DroCap2 in this case) did not work. Said I wasn't rooted. Reinstalled the z4Root app a few times. Found out that it originally didn't work on the original Droid, but was fixed. XDA had the old .apk.....

11. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Thats odd it would be there and wouldnt work!

12. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    A few times...I was checking different sites all day Saturday. Many people were having the same problem...Some were flipping out because they couldn't get rid of the icon! (I took a Xanax....!) :dft011:tounge_out

13. wafwot

wafwot New Member

Nov 15, 2010
    Ok, I downloaded the latest version (thanks, Sherri!) and re-rooted. All seems to be okay now. It works a lot better if you kill all unnecessary apps before rooting.

14. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    Yeah! Glad it worked! (Still can't believe I rooted...)

15. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Awesome!
    Nice work Sherri!!

16. aggieman

Bronze

Mar 14, 2007
    Another happy z4root user. Took me all of about 2 minutes. It was so easy I kept thinking I had to have screwed something up somewhere.

Sent from my DROIDX using Everything Android App

17. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    I know! Why isn't this app getting more "press"? Other root methods seem so much harder and riskier!

Sent from my Droid using Everything Android App

18. Weapondrift

Gold

Feb 1, 2008
    Alot of the reasoning behind that is because after a while the older versions kept giving the phones issues. I.E. unable to use busybox, unable to use programs that required root etc. etc.

Even tho the other methods take a while, and seem more complicated I find they are the best to use (in my opinion).

19. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    As I stated, I had those problems as well. But, since it was just an app install (from a known source, so I wasn't worried about "viruses" or garbage being installed), I figured if it didn't work, app could be uninstalled. Wasn't going into the file system of phone on PC....

Didn't work first couple of times. Superuser icon was there, but root apps didn't work. I was afraid because even when I removed app, SU icon remained. Phone ran the same, so I was OK...Mine is out of warranty anyway, but I pay the insurance for TEC. Worst case scenario was an $85 deductible...

Kind of surprised when it did work!

Sent from my Droid using Everything Android App

20. Pedro Cano

Pedro Cano New Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Does Anyone know if this z4root works with samsung fascinate?? :/

21. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Yes it does, although don't know if it works post froyo update.

Sent from my Xoom using Everything Android