1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Rooting Nexus 7

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by iphonewarrior, Aug 3, 2012.

1. iphonewarrior

Bronze

Jun 2, 2011

Sponsored Ad

I'm having some problems trying to root the Nexus. In fact, I can't even get to the rooting part because I can't even get the drivers to install properly... is it always this awkward to simply root a device?

I've been following various guides, for example this one http://www.zimbio.com/Mac+OS+X/articles/3LosQrAD4qu/Guide+How+Root+Google+Nexus+7+Tablet - seems like this one is the same as every other out there.

Any ideas, known bugs or ways around getting these drivers to install?

Thanks in advance.

2. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Read up and search in the XDA link within that link that you posted, thats where your answer might be, or you can ask the dev. Are you doing it on a MAC?

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    A buddy of mine said this:

Hope this helps

• Like Like x 1
  5. iphonewarrior

Bronze

Jun 2, 2011
    Thanks, the drivers have been a PITA. I managed to root about an hour after I posted. I used a root checker app to confirm that I had successfully rooted.

I was using a Win 7 Samsung laptop (works), I didn't think it was do-able via OS X.

I made a mistake by installing CM 9 instead of 10. That caused further problems, it kept hanging. I managed to get it to boot and installed CM 10.

Now I just need to learn how to Overclock the CPU...

6. iphonewarrior

Bronze

Jun 2, 2011
    When I stupidly installed CM9 (genuinely cannot remember how I even installed it) I have since installed CM 10. However, when my device boots I get the CM9 Splash screen... how do I get rid of it? I was going to restore the tablet through Wug's tool but it starts the download and stops at 1% (kinda crap if you ask me...) every time.

I wouldn't mind starting over so I get everything right, rather than having bits of random software installed.

7. iP5

iP5
    Bronze

Oct 23, 2010
    Do you have a custom recovery installed?

The norm for Android devices with an uSD card is;
    • unlock the boot loader so that you can modify the recovery image
    • push a custom recovery so that you have core tools at a low level
    • push root/temp root to get control of the device at a high level
    • remove bloatware or wipe the data & system directories and install a new ROM
    The reason I mention the uSD card and a custom recovery is because with these two feature you never have to worry about messing the other partitions. Recovery would be kind of like an enhanced BIOS boot from which you can install/re-install any full OS (using PC parlance). Everything else can be wrecked and you can "recover" by wipe then flashing a ROM.

Lacking the uSD slot though, you then must be careful not to format the internal SDCARD partition and use that as the storage place for your source ROM image(s).

That said, assuming you have a custom recovery installed, you can be sure that you don't have any random software installed by; wiping the data & system partitions from your recovery boot, then flashing CM10 + gapps. That would constitute a brand new, clean install.

I should also mention that once I have a custom recovery on my devices I pretty much no longer have to connect it to a PC or Mac to manage things such as ROMs or re-rooting, etc.

Sorry the thing has been such a PITA for you.

8. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    You should have done a factory reset before loading CM 10....I would try again... Format and reflash

Sent from my Xoom using Everything Android

9. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Actually you should always...
    Format phone
    Wipe cache
    Wipe dalvik cache before changing roms

If doing an intermediate update of the same rom wipe dalvik cache only unless the dev says otherwise

Sent from my Xoom using Everything Android

10. iP5

iP5
    Bronze

Oct 23, 2010
    A cool vehicle mount for the N7

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

11. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    I saw that the other day. Its pretty sweet