1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Rooting?

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by meke77, Oct 27, 2010.

1. BikerBoy

BikerBoy New Member

Sep 11, 2011

Sponsored Ad

@BikerBoy What firmware version do you have on your phone? Answer:2.2.1 ee4 kernel 2.6.32.9.

2. Sponsored Advertisement

3. BikerBoy

BikerBoy New Member

Sep 11, 2011
    I am reading all i can , asking question where ever possible, but i still don't understand what is adb, what is shell , how do you push files ? or why am i downloading roms , is that to root ? or to change the rom on the phone ? or is it basicly both, it keeps saying you there is a chance to brick your phone " why if i follow everything as is?" 1 click root looks like a lot more wrk than 1 click ;) I hope i don't sound like stupid but i never used linix before or what ever language we are dealing with here, hope you guys understand my confusing and worrying , i don't really wana brick my phone , i just wana know all before i go into it

4. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    ADB Shell is basically (in a plain vanilla as possible description) like DOS prompts for your phone, it allows access to files and items deep within the OS, and push files to overwrite system files.

You download a ROM only because you want to, the steps I gave above in the link have you install a ROM becuase that ROM is already rooted for you, so once you do that your all set. Again, you dont have to do any of this if you like your phone the way it is. Rooting just gives more control over the device.

Any time you mess with system files in the OS you can damage your phone, its a discalimer, basically if you mess something up its no ones fault but your own.

Some 1-click roots are simpler than others, some require you to put in Device Drivers on your PC and some just work in a nice clean package, all this varies on what device you have. Some take longer than others to get 1-click and some never get it. Depends on the developers working on it, and the device itself.

If you are truly uncomfortable with this, then I would just sit tight, enjoy your phone and wait for something simplar to come out to get the job done.

• Like Like x 1
  5. BikerBoy

BikerBoy New Member

Sep 11, 2011
  6. BikerBoy

BikerBoy New Member

Sep 11, 2011
    Tried it , worked like a charm, rooted now :D

7. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Awesome!!

8. BikerBoy

BikerBoy New Member

Sep 11, 2011
    What now ?lol

9. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    What now what? Lol

Sent from my ADR6300 using Everything Android

10. BikerBoy

BikerBoy New Member

Sep 11, 2011
    what do i need to get ? download ? after rooting

11. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Whatever you want, new ROM, System Software...up to you!

12. Weapondrift

Gold

Feb 1, 2008
    I personally would go for the new ROM.

13. BikerBoy

BikerBoy New Member

Sep 11, 2011
    this would for sure sound stupid, how do i install roms ? what are good roms ?

14. Weapondrift

Gold

Feb 1, 2008
    the only stupid question is the one not asked.

anywho I would do this:
    Go to the market and download Rom Manager. Its an app that lets you at your discression download a ROM onto your phone. After all of the process is finished, your phone will reboot and you will have to go through the steps of reinstalling apps/programs etc. and you will be done.

RECCOMENDATION: after the rom downloads it will ask if you want to backup your current rom/Wipe Dalvik and Cache you should choose all of these reasons for the following:
    Backup Current rom: This lets you come back at a later time if you decide that you don like the rom you are using.
    Wipe Dalvik and Cache: Basically this is like wiping your computer. It gives the phone a clean slate to run off of. It is not necessary you do this BUT if you are having issues it is recommended to prevent these. '

The most popular of all the android roms is Cyanogen. Most people use his ROM simply because he has been producing them since the Original Androids came out. Another ROM I would recommend is MIUI it is the ONLY rom out there (that I know of) that hasnt used Cyanogens Base as a template. This means that the rom was built from the ground up. It has an iphone look to it but trust me. This rom comes highly recommended.

When you start feeling comfortable flashing roms from ROM Manager I can tell you in a little more complex detail about flashing from the sdcard. I actually see a few roms for your phone that I wish were on mine (jealous) :p

15. BikerBoy

BikerBoy New Member

Sep 11, 2011
    how do u clear those things u told me about ? and i love the iphone look and i need languages packages " arabic " please advice , can you go into more details ? will i lose what i have on my phone ? contacts and so on ?
    how can i check roms before downloading and istalling ?
    something with good battery life and gps :p

16. Weapondrift

Gold

Feb 1, 2008
    when you download from Rom Manager after the rom has finished downloading you SHOULD have a box that says:
    Backup Current Rom (checkbox)
    Wipe Dalvik (checkbox)
    Wipe Cache (checkbox)
    This is the way I was telling you. I will post a screenshot of what it should look like.

Language packs I am unfamilier with :/

You will lose everything on your phone when flashing a rom BUT all of these things can be returned to your phone. Your contacts as long as they are saved wont go away. Any rom with SENSE in the name means that that rom will have SENSE UI. Most of the recent roms not using SENSE will be using Gingerbread. Most if not all of the roms will have gps. From MY personal experience any Cyanogen Rom 7.1+ will have good battery life.

if you ever have issues with gps not connecting you MIGHT have to update the phones radio (this is something that will take alot of time to explain and its VERY difficult but we will get into that later)

17. Weapondrift

Gold

Feb 1, 2008
    The pictures i am posting here are what you should see
    the first picture has the following:
    1) Flash Clockwork Recovery - do this as soon as you get Rom Manager so that it will work.
    2) Download Rom - this takes you to the second picture that gives a list for all the roms available for your phone on Rom Manager.
    After which just download your rom and see the post above about Backup/Wipe Dalvik/Wipe Cache

Sent from my ADR6300 using Everything Android

Attached Files:

18. BikerBoy

BikerBoy New Member

Sep 11, 2011
    I don't see many options here nothing gives details.
    Only have superuser and Cerberus as options

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Everything Android

19. BikerBoy

BikerBoy New Member

Sep 11, 2011
    On droid Charge forum it says that Rom Manager dsn't wrk on droid charge .....

20. Weapondrift

Gold

Feb 1, 2008
    ok...it looks like Rom Manager hasnt gotten around to putting roms on your phone yet. But relax there are ALWAYS multiple ways to get this done *cracks knuckles*