Rooting ??

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and Help' started by Beautifultwisted_disaster, Jul 16, 2012.

1. Hi, I have T-Mobile Samsung SGH-T989. Some apps require my phone to be rooted. I haven't rooted my phone. What is rooting ? Is it a bad idea ? Benefits ? Dangers ? Thanks for any help .

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Everything Android
  2. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

What apps are you trying to install that require root access?
  3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Member

Rooting allows access to the root folders of the phone (superuser)
    it's not inherently a bad idea. Benefits: it allows you to do more with your phone than you normally would (screenshots, overclocking, etc)
    Dangers: if you try to do too much too fast, or without adequate instructions you could brick your phone (but that can be fixed anyway) Voids your warranty too
    I try to be objective about rooting. I need to keep my phones unrooted because of another forum I'm involved with, but It's not a bad thing as long as you're careful and make sure to have good instructions
  5. I don't know the names off the apps off the top of my head. I just noticed the message when I wanted to install. I'm not worried about a warranty. I don't mind paying out of pocket. I just don't want to ruin my phone unnecessarily. Thank you both for your help.
    Sent from my SGH-T989 using Everything Android
  6. Brandon Lee Nelson

Brandon Lee Nelson New Member

You should root your phone only if you know what you are doing. Judging by the fact that you even asked this question I'm thinking you should probably stay away from rooting because you will most likely f*** up your phone... that being said, go ahead and root it anyway, it'll be fun. What's the worst that can happen? You break your phone... oh well....
  7. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

Wow... You are fun to be around. Not everyone knows.. It's better to ask questions than just do something blindly.
    Come on.

Sent from my Xoom using Everything Android