1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Rooting

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by rkcoll1, Mar 3, 2010.

1. rkcoll1

Bronze

Sep 23, 2008

Sponsored Ad

I was wondering how many others in this forum have rooted their droid. I see a little talk about it here but not much. I rooted about a week ago and have enjoyed every minute of it. I have tried several ROMs and have recently been using Bugless Beast v1.2 with chevys 1.2Ghz kernel. It has sped my phone up considerably and the battery life has not suffered. I would like to hear some of your stories if you would like to share. BTW there are tons of FAQ and how to's on rooting in several different forums that make the process very easy.

2. rkcoll1

Bronze

Sep 23, 2008
    Found a great tutorial for capturing screenshots on your droid. It is over at droidbugs.com. If you are rooted you will most likely already have most of the things you need to do this. Very cool. Check it out. http://droidbugs.com/?p=54

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    thanks a lot!!

5. gnath9

Silver

Feb 10, 2009
    thanks for posting !
    I have been thinking about custom roms and such. I have just been too lazy I guess ... lol

where are them screen shots ? :dft012:wink

6. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    I have not rooted my phone, for 2 main reasons...(1) There hasn't been any "need" for me to, as only one application requires it (screenshots), and that isn't necessary, and (2) I don't want to "risk" it and void my warranty.

Really the wrong person to ask, though, as I was using WM5 on the Q, and never "hacked" the registry for speed or anything else!

7. rkcoll1

Bronze

Sep 23, 2008
    Hey sherri! How have you been? I guess I really dont "need" to root my phone but it was fun to learn how and tinker with it. As far as warranty goes I guess I am not real worried about it. It is a hobby of sorts i guess, keeps me out of trouble if i am learning about rooting instead of getting in trouble at the bar. lol.

8. rkcoll1

Bronze

Sep 23, 2008
    I wanted to bump this thread and also add some info. I have wifi tethering working on my Droid. It basically turns my Droid into a wifi hotspot. Works very good, we tried it out this weekend with my wife's itouch. We were in the car for about 3 hrs going to visit family. She was able to hook right up just like wifi at home and use my 3G connection for internet. One more nice feature you can only get by rooting.

9. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    a tutorial maybe for those interested? :dft010:big_smile

10. rkcoll1

Bronze

Sep 23, 2008
    I will post some links if there is anyone interested. Have not seen much interest in here. Are there not that many Droid users on here that are rooted or interested in rooting? It really does enhance the Droid experience.

11. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    thanks! :dft009:smile

12. rkcoll1

Bronze

Sep 23, 2008

Attached Files:

#11 rkcoll1, Mar 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2015
  13. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    what is the first screen shot showing?
    i see a notification but whats it showing above that?

thanks for posting the images!

14. rkcoll1

Bronze

Sep 23, 2008
    That screenshot is of the pull down notification page. When the phone is plugged in to pc it always shows those first two items. Top one means that i have usb debugging enabled, needed for rooting, and the second one is what you use to mount the droid to put files on sd card. Normally when not plugged into pc there would only be notifications on that screen. I just wanted to show the DROID DOES customization on the bottom.

15. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    oh ok i see
    so this is showing you connected to the PC when taking the screen shots

16. rkcoll1

Bronze

Sep 23, 2008
    Yep. Only way to take screenshots that i know of right now.

17. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    oh i thought if you were rooted you can do it straight on the phone)

18. rkcoll1

Bronze

Sep 23, 2008
    You have to be rooted to capture screenshots while hooked to pc. No way to capture on device yet. I am sure it is coming.

19. dragonfly

Bronze

Mar 27, 2007
    I thought there was an app for rooted users that took screen shots of the droid for you?
    http://www.androlib.com/android.application.net-srcz-android-screenshot-zEtD.aspx

and i've used another one for the 1 day that I decided to root the droid using SM updater. Reverted back to stock due to the fact I didnt want the droid to brick if and whenever the new update comes out.

20. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    welcome back dragonfly!

21. rkcoll1

Bronze

Sep 23, 2008
    I will check that out. Thanks for the info. As far as your phone bricking when the update comes out, as long as you block OTA updates you should be fine. Most ROMs now do that automatically but there is a way to manually do also.