1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Samsung Android phones and failure to provide updates

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by sambhavna, Dec 28, 2011.

1. sambhavna

sambhavna Guest

Sponsored Ad

Samsung has recently announced its new firmware update on the android models but failed to deliver the same on its most selling galaxy handsets and the tablets too.
    I got a unsatisfactory opinion on this, about months back i brought a new galaxy tablet model and iam unable to get the update on my handset.
    Is samsung making a new strategy, for the new handsets to be sold.
    All the galaxy models should be provided the update, rather samsung says the galaxy S and tablet series dont have enough memory for this update, then why did u design this way?
    these mobile makers have gone crazy of selling the new model handsets ignoring the updates for the exixting ones.
    Mobile markets have become too much disturbing the economy this way.
    how can a person buy a new handset every month.
    if the updates were done for everyone then a person would always pefer to get a new handset costly and better to the exixting ones upon their time of feasibility.
    If an update is not provided to a certain handset user then this is likely to note that the certain model is not designed properly or was marketed for a spam of time and is not valuable now.
    this is way all these mobile makers even loose their resale value.
    samsung should note this.
    Friends please start to vote and reply on this topic seriously

2. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Sorry, but that is the way of the computer world. There will always be something bigger, better, faster, etc just around the corner.

What exactly does this update you speak of include that you must have it? Does your device operate as it is supposed to? Why do you feel you have to update?

You ask how a manufacturer can make something with less memory than needed to do an update? There are low-end budget models of devices and high-end. Did you pay for a low-end, but expect high-end? Doesn't work that way. I am guessing the update you refer to was clearly labeled not for your device and that annoys you?

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Samsung recently stated that it is going to re-evaluate whether or not it will upgrade the Tab or Galaxy S series to Android 4.0.

Sadly thats how things work now a days, not everything will always get updated. But the best part of Android is the community, well after Samsung stops supporting and updating your device you will be able to upgrade your ROM by the amazing developers community. Only recently did the Cyanogenmod team stop supporting the original droid, thats a pretty long time.

When the manufacturer leaves your phone in the dust because of bigger and better things, the community will always be there to support and upgrade.

Sit tight.

5. rom x

Bronze

Jun 27, 2011
    well i don't know of a single cell phone mfg who has supported every device they made with current upgrades to os. not even apple supports all there devices with thier current ios 5.

6. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    Just because software is new doesn't mean it is better suited to your device. Try running Windows 7 on a PC from 6 years ago with RAM limitations, etc. Better off leaving it at XP and keeping it clean. It'll purr along and likely do everything you want it to do, without the annoyance of having to learn new ways of doing everything (Win7). This is an assumption of course, and opinion on my part, but I think that's going to accurately describe current Andriod vs. whatever Version # ice cream somethign or other is.

• Like Like x 1
  7. AndroTech

AndroTech New Member

Jan 10, 2012

We’re not talking about supporting every device. Samsung (as of Sept/11) has sold over 30 MILLION of the galaxy S phones. That’s a LOT of bacon :) The phone is really not that old. There is no reason why they couldn’t support it better. I agree with the OP. Send Samsung a message and buy another brand, otherwise your phone might be next. Don’t let the manufactures get you in the habit of always buying another phone year after year. 30 million people is a lot of voting power!

8. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Not to quibble, but I believe the S has sold 20 million and the S II another 10. Word is that the S II will get ICS later this year. It does have the dual core required for the updated OS.

That said, I do understand your frustration and even if only 20 million were sold that is a whole bunch of users. Let me ask if when you bought your new phone did you buy it under the condition it was going to be upgradable to a yet unknown OS or did you buy it because it was cool, worked as you expected and met your needs?

I asked a poster earlier why the urgent need to upgrade? How about you? Does the device work? Why do you have to have this? Updated features are nice, but the reality is hardware requirements are often in the way. To run the cool new things more powerful components are required and at the time of design they may not have been available or if available they would have raised the price to an unacceptable level because they weren't being made in quantities to reduce prices.

I have heard a lite version of ICS is being worked on for single core processor devices, but it may not pan out. In the interim by all means make your frustrations known to manufacturers, but I am not sure what impact it will have. I suspect not much as there are way too many people who seem happy to buy new devices every year or even more often just to get the next new thing. Right Aggie?

9. AndroTech

AndroTech New Member

Jan 10, 2012
    I buy ALL of my electronics with the understanding that they will still be upgradable for at least the next year and a half. When a manufacture turns their back on customers like this I no longer purchase products from them. I know other people feel the same. This is one reason why I bought an iPad instead of a Android tablet.

IMO ICS is lightyears ahead of any other Android version. It's not like the last two updates that were more similar to each other. My next phone will run on ICS or I won't buy it, regardless of the features or price.

I thought they gave up on it....

10. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Then you buy your devices for the wrong reason. Why not just wait to the next version, or the next version or the next version. Not everything will be updated all the time, its life, a reality.

If you MUST have the newest, then don't buy phones with custom skins already built on it, OR load a custom ROM and you will be up to date. The Android Community is an amazing one, quicker with updates and features. Thats the beauty of Android.

And if you are that hell bent on updates, and in the know about updates then chances are you can update it yourself.

Agreed, ICS is much better than Gingerbread, but that doesnt mean that Samsung should provide you with the update, have it bog down your phone and then you would STILL be upset at them for doing a poor job.

They did.
    Just root it and load a custom ROM (my recommendation would be CM9 when it is available)

Never buy a device for a 'promised/wishful thinking update.

11. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    How is it you insure any electronic device will be upgradable for at least 18 months? I am not familiar with any company that offers assurances like that. Especially if you look at the 18 months from the day you buy it. What is it that made you decide on 18 months? Why that amount of time? Is it because that will get you through a typical 2 year contract?

In the case of the S, I believe that was first released April 2010 so it would appear they did maintain support for the 18 month period. Maybe not your 18 months though.

I did hear that of the big Android makers the only one that announced they will upgrade all 2010 and 2011 phones to ICS is Eriksson. Not sure how they will pull that off, but you could look to them as an option. I am sure their phones are cutting edge.

Being new to the Android family and only having used one device I am really not aware of all the differences ICS may offer so it would be silly for me to comment on how important the upgrade is or is not. I have always been fascinated by the groups that have to upgrade to the latest software, program, app, etc and the only reason seems to be "Because it's there and available".

12. AndroTech

AndroTech New Member

Jan 10, 2012
    Everyone's entitled to their opinion.

Sometimes I do :)

I never said that.... anywhere! Your interpretation is way off.

I said I expect at least one update in a products life cycle. Big difference.

It does when the phone is relatively new, sold over 20 MILLION copies, and is supposed to be coming from a reputable manufacture.

Both of these things would be a non-issue if they removed some things from the phone that aren't needed anyway. In fact a developer told them how to go about doing this but their reply was that they didn't want to invest any time to research it. To which I say fine, then why should consumers invest their money in samsungs products? Let's not forget that consumers pay their wages. They work for the customers, not the other way around. So vote with your dollars and remind them of this. Life is good.

13. AndroTech

AndroTech New Member

Jan 10, 2012
    I will. They deserve being supported. I'll checkout what they're offering at CES. Thanks :)

14. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Agreed, but complaining about it gets you no where :)

I wonder how anyone can buy anything if they just wait...they would still have a flip phone!

Your wording leads me to believe that, perhaps I misinterpreted your intention, but it didn't sound like it. And what if you did get an update in the products life cycle...but BEFORE you bought it? The Galaxy S came with Froyo and now has Ginerbread....there is your upgrade.

Relatively new to who? You, maybe, but the original S series has been out since late 3rd quarter/early 4th quarter of 2010 I believe.

No disagreement there, manufacturer skins and bloat are definitely an issue, no question. BUT again, with Android the manufacturer can skin it to meet their needs and their specs and standards. If it doesnt work with what is being pushed out by Google then well, it would cost them a lot more money and effort to provide patches and updates to fix issues that could have been avoided by NOT doing it. Now is that right...no, but thats Android. Open source allows whatever manufacturer to do whatever they want to the OS and sell it...its just what it is. If you want updates, if you need updates, if you want skin-less, bloat free devices, get a Nexus.

15. AndroTech

AndroTech New Member

Jan 10, 2012
    History has proven otherwise. When one person complains they probably won't care much. But when 20 Million people complain, it tends to get their attention.

Actually, I still have a Vic-20 new in the box :p

Ha ha.... very funny. Gingerbread is Androids windows ME :p

Regarding having the update before, yes that is fine :)

I'm not talking about in dog years or electronic years, I'm talking about actual time. It is still available for sale today. That makes it current regardless of there being a model in the same family above it.

Yes I like the idea that google handles this. I hope more are released like this. I would look into a nexus BUT its processor is too small for t-mo. That's why the S II has a bigger processor and is a different model number from the standard S II.

16. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    But you know as well as anyone that 20 million are not going to complain. But keep thinking you alone can make a difference....

Please explain this as I have only used Gingerbread. Why shouldn't I like it? And even though the update you are looking for in the life cycle was provided it was an update you don't like so it doesn't count?
    But it is still well beyond the 18 months from introduction. So you believe it should be 18 months from the day you buy it? You would have been disappointed by Apple then if you bought the iToy at certain points.

17. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Keep us posted on that.

There is nothing wrong with Gingerbread. Just because ICS has a different look and feel doesn't mean Gingerbread is bad. Thats ignorant.

Sooo then how can you complain? Granted everyone is entitled to their opinion but you just proved my point.

So what if it is still for sale?
    The average person walking in to buy a phone is not going to care if it get ICS, hell, there is a very good chance they wont know what ICS even is! Will it make calls? CHECK. Can I get internet? CHECK. Email? CHECK.

If you are up on Android, and into every little detail (which could be said about any phone, BB, iPhone, etc.) you would know what is new, or even if you weren't, then maybe you did some research before hand?
    Perhaps it was purchased based on price? GSII for $199 of a GSI for $99...GSI sounds pretty good on a budget.

To small for T-Mo? I haven't heard this...any articles on the Galaxy Nexus not being good enough for T-Mo? In my opinion, they should probably take it if Google offers it...

18. AndroTech

AndroTech New Member

Jan 10, 2012
    If you enjoy Gingerbread then more power to ya and my lips are sealed. Many other people have had a totally different experience with it. I know of people that have actually gone backwards in versions just to not use Gingerbread. Hopefully it will continue to work out for you :)

I don't consider it as being a true update, the same as windows ME was not a true update. Things are not supposed to work worse, they're supposed to work better, or at least the same....

No. See above :)

19. dgray636

Bronze

Aug 22, 2010
    Isn't this the issue with technology? Things are now changing so fast. It is an issue with timing, and when to jump. Even the ICS device you buy will be out of date inside of one year. How far ahead should hardware manufacturers plan, especially when they are not developing the OS, but designing around it? Even RIM and Apple will have some limitations.

Sent from my DROIDX using Everything Android

20. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Maybe the third time will be the charm....Can you please explain why Gingerbread is so bad in comparison to anything? You keep making these all-knowing, sweeping general statements with nothing that resembles an explanation or facts.

I am not trying to say you are wrong. I am trying to understand it.

21. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Especially RIM......:ROFLMAO: