1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Samsung Confuses Me With Different Galaxy S II Phones

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by chris, Nov 22, 2011.

1. chris

Administrator

Jun 1, 2006

Sponsored Ad

I am on AT&T and I need a new Android phone. With the Black Friday, one cent deal, I was going to add a line. Admittedly, I'm on the fence, since the phone I really want is the Galaxy Nexus.

I was looking at the assorted phones and there are two Galaxy S II phones. I don't think it's a no brainer to go for the S II Skyrocket over the S II.

Here's my beef with Samsung. How many different S II's are out there and why all the different names. It's nuts.

Oh and if you have a dog in the S II vs S II Skyrocket fight, I'd love to know which one. I have a feeling that in the end, I'll end up waiting for the Galaxy Nexus.

2. rom x

Bronze

Jun 27, 2011
  3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    Isn't that the same deal/problem tho' with Motorla? (They of the used to make good phones?) Everything is a DROID. Droid this, Droid that. You can't tell which one is which, which one is the newest, best specs, etc.. Not to mention that other manufacturers somehow, also have DROID phones.

5. PacoJr67

Bronze

Mar 6, 2007
    becausebthe droid trademark is lisenced by verizon, not Motorola

6. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Paco, what do you mean licensed by? I always thought that Droid was a trademark owned by George Lucas. Actually Lucasfilm Studios I think.

What exactly do you mean?

7. dgray636

Bronze

Aug 22, 2010
    Lucasfilms is licensing DROID to Verizon for use on its devices. Any manufacturer can make a DROID. It is just going to be sold by Verizon.

Sent from my DROIDX using Everything Android

8. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    Interesting. Makes it rather confusing for the consumer, not being able to know what a "droid" really is....other than some general class of phones by different manufacturers with different specs and capabilities. At least if I buy a Camry, I know I get a Toyota! Imagine if Ford made a Camry (shudder!)....you'd never know which one is the good one.

9. dgray636

Bronze

Aug 22, 2010
    Couldn't the same be said for the android OS in general?

10. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    If you mean confusing...Most definitely!!!

Sent from my PC36100 using Everything Android

11. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    I don't think I'd agree with the analogy. When you buy a car, dozens of companies make them and customize them to individual tast--for the consumer, the corporate brand and image, the capabililties the company wants to promote, etc. However, you don't see multiple different companies calling their vehicle the same thing, other than a "car"

Cable companies. Dozens right...most have a 10 Mbps cable modem type of service. They're all called different names. Etc.

In this particular market, the reseller has licensed a name and parsels it out to different companies to use on their phones. Just my opinion, but that's a different "game" and makes it more confusing to the consume. How does a droid from one company compare to a droid from another? What makes them both a droid?

12. dgray636

Bronze

Aug 22, 2010
    So, several different companies make different models of phones, and then install the android OS on it? That's not the same thing as car companies? And just because a few of those devices that will be sold though Verizon will get a couple of more graphics and sounds to be labeled as Droid is the worst thing in the world?

13. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    Yes, that part is the same. However, that's not what I stated in my original post. I commented on different companies making a phone called the same thing and that such a thing doesn't happen (to the best of my popular knowledge) in other industries.

Now you're just making stuff up. I said I thought it was confusing to a consumer, which is my opinion. I never said anything about it being the worst thing in the world or anything other than being confusing, in my opinion. You're certainly entitled to your opinion as well, but don't go putting words in my mouth. I'm perfectly capable of expressing them myself.

14. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Bob and Darren, I am confused as usual. Isn't the name Droid being used as a reference to the included OS of a device? From what I have seen each different Droid such as HTC, Samsung and Motorola all include DROID followed by the model such as HTC DROID Incredible 2, Motorola DROID Razor, Motorola DROID Bionic, Samsung DROID Charge, etc.....

Should this be such an issue?

15. dgray636

Bronze

Aug 22, 2010
    I never thought so.

16. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    S'far as I know, there isn't an OS called a DROID. All droids are Android OS, with whatever customizations the manufacturers or Verizon does from there.

17. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    For crying out loud, for the last time, *I* said *I* thought it might be confusing to consumers. Opinion. Not fact. If you've got a different opinion and a better understanding of the marketplace and naming, more's the power to you and all that. You've got a droid, so you apparently understand the naming. I don't and don't.

You certainly seem to be a pissy mood today...what else would you like to take exception to in my posts? Might as well get it all out on the virtual table right now. You wanna make stupid comments (that's an opinion again, since you seem to have significant difficulties recognizing such) about my avatar? Maybe you'd like to challenge me on my statement about Gopher. Maybe you don't like me starting a sentence with the word "For". You wanna get after me for not having a "cool" tagline like you? Let me know. I'm always up for a good-natured exchange and debate, but I am for damn sure not going to be your little whipping boy just 'cuz you don't seem to, or want to, get it.

18. dgray636

Bronze

Aug 22, 2010
    Fine. You are right. I am an idiot. I am sorry for everything. I am also sorry for taking up valuable oxygen.

19. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Would you two please play nice?

Regarding the name droid representing an os....perhaps it is too obvious to me, but since droid seems to be taken directly from AnDROID, I surmised it represented the os.

Is that too far fetched?

Sent from my PC36100 using Everything Android

20. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    Interesting. Never thought of it that way. Certainly possible I suppose. Maybe that's the intent behind their marketing thoughts. Who knows. Still wouldn't seem confusing (to me) because DROIDs are only a small fraction of the total phones out there. But who knows. Marketing folks are a completely different creative brain category than an engineer.

On a side note. Peek Unsweetened Black Tea. Good stuff!

21. dgray636

Bronze

Aug 22, 2010
    Too bad they don't sell it in my area. I prefer unsweetened tea. I would try it.