1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Samsung Galaxy S III vs HTC One X

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by chris, Aug 22, 2012.

1. chris

Administrator

Jun 1, 2006

Sponsored Ad

If you were shopping these phones, both on AT&T, which would you choose and why?

Thoughts?

2. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    I would go for the SGIII, I had a Sense phone... It was nice but cumbersome.

Sent from my Xoom using Everything Android

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Cumbersome how Scott? I take it you are not a fan of the HTC Sense interface?

5. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Well I was, I felt it a good transition from WM6.1 to Android. Had that similar look and feel to it, so it wasn't SO new coming from one to another. But after having my HTC Incredible stripped of 'Sense' and loaded stock Android, it felt new, it felt quick, just better. After putting stock Android it didn't have that extra layer of 'stuff' on it.

It looks really nice, and Sense was the reason I got the HTC to begin with, but it is also the reason why I got a Nexus device the second time around.

6. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    I have only had the one Android and it is an HTC so that is all I know. I guess if I get adventuresome and follow the path you did I will want to get rid of Sense, but it has helped in the transition from BB to Android.

7. rom x

Bronze

Jun 27, 2011
    this may help you decide

8. iphonewarrior

Bronze

Jun 2, 2011
    I'd have to go with the SGSIII.

9. diverdown

diverdown New Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Chris,

I recently upgraded to the hTC One X. Before that I had the Samsung galaxy SII then the galaxy nexus (gave it to my daughter) and before that I had every iPhone. I chose the HTC over the S3 for several reasons. After using both, the sense overlay seemed more polished than the touchwiz on the S3. Also I really like the look and feel of the One X over the S3..... the X is more like my old I phones in terms of design.

The one thing I did like about the S3 was the removable micro SD slot, though I was able to sync my iTunes library with google's music manager and I am using Play music which allows both streaming and on device options.

I think it will come down to personal aesthetics regarding which device you like better. Both are well made and run very well. For me, touchwiz seemed very outdated.

Hope this helps,
    ~S

10. rom x

Bronze

Jun 27, 2011
    i beg to differ about the TW being outdated. every new version of TW always comes out with a bunch of new tweaks and shortcuts. unlike sense which really dosen't change much except for the animations. but both are good and it's a matter of personal pref. i personally like TW better. and there's no doubt it's smoother.

11. diverdown

diverdown New Member

Feb 27, 2012
    I understand what you are saying. I suppose I felt that touchwiz on the s3 looked very much like touchwiz on my s2 (one of the reasons I grew bored with the iPhone OS). Having never had an HTC phone before touch was a new interface. As you stated it's definately a matter of personal preferance.

On another note although I really liked the vanilla version of Android on the Nexus, I have to say I like all of the widgets that come preinstalled with both touchwiz and sense.

~S

• Like Like x 1
  12. aggieman

Bronze

Mar 14, 2007
    I've had both. Sold my One X a couple weeks ago and chose to keep the GS3 for a few reasons. Gonna go with it and my GSM GNex will stay around as my backup.

The main selling points for the HOX are the screen and build. It easily outclasses the GS3 in those areas and looks much better although that is subjective. The screen is easily my favorite I've used on any device. I can't knock it as it is an all around outstanding device BUT the way HTC boinked multitasking really turned me off. Multitasking, the added software features that Samsung has included, expandable storage (that is a big one), removable battery, and 2 gb of RAM pushed me to pick the GS3. Got a 64 gb microsd on Amazon the other day for 50 bucks when they were running a special. In the days of big picture and video files from these cameras and ridiculous data caps its hard to depend on cloud storage to take the place of on device storage.

Edit: forgot to mention I had issues with wifi periodically losing connection. There are widespread reports of wifi issues with the One X. Not a deal breaker as it was not constant and a simple toggle off and on reestablished connection but it was still annoying.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

13. mikearnill

mikearnill New Member

Aug 30, 2012
    Samsung galaxy s3 would be kind of smart bet, it have damn wide screen, cool user interface, brilliant touch and have many other cool features.

14. Watcher

Bronze

Aug 24, 2012
    FlossyCarter made a mistake and said both the Galaxy S3 and the HTC One-X were dual-core phones. The Galaxy S3 is quad-core.

15. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    The Galaxy S3 is a dual core in the USA. That is due to the networks used in the US. The dual core operates better with very little difference in speed.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. Watcher

Bronze

Aug 24, 2012
    Thank you very much, stevetaz. I guess I'm showing my Android noobness! However, it does make me feel a little better about my "outdated" Galaxy Nexus, which I still love.

17. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    No worrys....I feel like a newbie every day. There is so much to learn about Android........

18. iP5

iP5
    Bronze

Oct 23, 2010
    Which dual core is in the North American GS3?

My international GS3 is significantly faster than my wife's HOX or my Transformer Pad (Tegra 3).

One example of where the performance is a benefit; when driving I underclock the thing to 700Mhz and it actually gains charge (plugged to the lighter) while running Bluetooth-WiFi-GPS, Navigation and a dash cam without any complaint about being underclocked. Also the added benefit of staying cool.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

19. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Qualcomm's Snapdragon S4 1.5 GHz dual-core chip. Rumor is there may be a quad core compatible with the US LTE networks and it is supposedly being tested in Korea.

Latest word is we may see it here in the USA by Christmas, but that is strictly rumor and probably some wishful thinking.

20. rom x

Bronze

Jun 27, 2011
    your assumptions are correct they have fixed whatever issue there was with quad core and 4glte. as the new note2 will be a quadcore 4glte fablet:)

21. diverdown

diverdown New Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Getting Quad Core chips with LTE will be very nice. HTC has a media event scheduled for Sept 19. I wonder if they will be releasing an updated One X with a Quad Core for the US.... if so, I hope it has more than 16gb's of storage. That is my only real complaint on the One X....

~S