1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-I9505

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by Blackie Ray, May 21, 2014.

1. Blackie Ray

Blackie Ray New Member

May 21, 2014

Sponsored Ad

I'm currently overseas and purchased a Galaxy S4 from the local PX base near me in the Balkans. I've no doubt of its providence. However I'm concerned about using it in the states. I understand it may not be screaming fast because LTE is not avail except in limited areas. Sorry if I sound ignorant....I am. I'm just hoping the phone is usable in the U.S.
    Can anyone here speak about this concern?
    based on what i saw here at gsmarena dot com/samsung_i9505_galaxy_s4-5371.php
    Should I expect that 2G and 3G will be fine but 4G is a wash...at least for the time being?

Thank you

2. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Hard to answer as we need to know where you are going to be residing in the US and what carrier you expect to use the phone on. Not all carriers use the same bands and that is important.

Is the phone branded to any carrier? Is it unlocked?

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. Blackie Ray

Blackie Ray New Member

May 21, 2014
    So sorry. You're so correct. Yes the phone is unlocked. The carrier I'm hoping to go with is Consumer Cellular. A carrier that is affordable and permits you to use your own phone, although I've not ascertained if an S4 is in their stable of allowed phones. I will be residing in the DC area. I'd love to avoid the big coms if at all possible. I've used Straight talk before. I've just looked at their site and it looks like now you can bring your own phone.
    "My phone is an unlocked GSM phone operating in 850 and 1900 MHz bands.
    My phone is a GSM T-Mobile compatible phone
    My phone is a GSM AT&T compatible phone
    So ST might be another option. I'm not clear if this covers me or not.

5. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    If your phone is compatible with AT&T it should work on the Consumer Cellular network, which uses AT&T's system.

You should contact them for specific questions about certain phones as they do not guarantee every phone can work. I would think an S4 should work.

6. Blackie Ray

Blackie Ray New Member

May 21, 2014
    Thanks Steve, appreciate it. Kind of you.