1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Samsung Galaxy S5 vs Galaxy S4

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by chris, Apr 27, 2014.

1. chris

Administrator

Jun 1, 2006

Sponsored Ad

I was recently in the market for a new Android phone and had my eye on the Galaxy S5. After a bit of research, I realized that the Galaxy S4 might suit me just fine. This particular video was very helpful and really does a great job of pinpointing the differences. For me, the biggest drop-off will be the camera. It also sounds as if the display is slightly improved. I find the larger Galaxy S5 is a negative for me. Coming from an iPhone 5s (which I'm still going to use), the Galaxy S4 is plenty big.

Still amazed over the deal I got from AT&T. I was able to score an off-contract, certified refurbished Galaxy S4 for $179. Really enjoying this phone. I picked up a Spigen Glas.t screen protector, ultra-thin air case and an aluminum button from eBay. Because of the thickness of the Glas.t, you need a button or the home button becomes recessed. The included jelly buttons are junk, but overall, I'm happy with aluminum. It's virtually impossible to align properly, which bugs me. Either I deal with the recessed button or deal with a slightly off-center button. For now, I'm keeping the button. Also picked up a 64GB microSD for good measure. All in, it was probably about $250 for a nicely outfitted Galaxy S4.

Seeing some lag from time to time. I'm guessing that's less of an issue with the faster processor on the S5. Also wish I had stock Android. I'm using Nova, but not a fan of the phone UI. I installed KitKat, so I don't believe there is root access yet.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Chancellor

Chancellor New Member

Apr 19, 2012
    Both are nice phones, the s4 at that price is simply unbelievable :). I just bought the s5 for basically the ultra battery mode and the water resistance, but I know that's not a huge deal for many people.

Wow what a deal!

#2 Chancellor, Apr 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2014
  3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    I love my note3 which has the larger screen. The s4 and 5 are usable screen sizes but I prefer the phablet sized note3. Zagg protective shield, pi holster case. The samsung UI is naked into everything. There are a number of neat things, but it certainly is different from stock which I had before. Hasn't gotten KitKat yet.

5. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Hey Chris, when do you experience the lag? What is it you are doing?

Take a look here for some possible help....

6. ginger7childs

ginger7childs New Member

Dec 19, 2012
    Can't you get the S4 in a water resistance? That would be what I would want instead of the S5 is the price is lower. I got a kid so water resistance is important.

7. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    I believe the Galaxy S4 Active model is considered water resistant. The "regular" models of the S4 are NOT water resistant.

8. iil999

iil999 New Member

May 7, 2014
    S4 and S5 have approx. the same size, but S5 is a bit heavier.
    S5 has a IP67 certification, so it is water resistant.
    Screen is about the same.

iil999

9. akiko.mino

akiko.mino New Member

May 23, 2014
    I don't see much benefits from switching my S4 to S5. I don't use my phone in the rain nor have I ever accidentally left it in the washing machine, so yeah, no water proofing is fine. Any significant differences in their system or configuration?

10. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Significant differences? No. A little faster processor, a little better camera, a little better battery, a better USB (3.0) and a few gimmicky add-ons like a fingerprint scanner and a heart rate sensor.

My opinion...Not worth an upgrade.....YMMV.....

• Like Like x 1
  11. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    You don't need to include the advertising link where you bought the clone.

By nature there are no perfect clones. They do not have access to genuine trade secrets and they do not use the same quality hardware because it would raise their prices.

Another issue that I have with clones is that often you will find pirated software and stolen designs. They pawn off their crap on consumers who should know better, but cannot help but be attracted by the looks and the prices.

Unfortunately there is a market for clones. All too often the consumers find out too late when hardware dies prematurely or just ceases to work properly. In some cases the clones being sold are simply "midnight overruns" which are shady manufacturers who stop the runs they are contracted for by a legitimate company, but they continue to run after-hours and off-the-books for their own benefit selling to shady dealers.

If you couldn't tell, I am not a fan. I do wish you luck with it.

12. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Which one is a nice smartphone?

#11 stevetaz, Jun 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2015
  13. Chancellor

Chancellor New Member

Apr 19, 2012
    They're both nice, I think I'm starting to get over my obsession though. Normally I just HAVE to have the newest thing, currently I kinda think all the phones I went through recently may have been a financial waste. This time last year I had an iPhone 5 and galaxy s4, now after many moves I have an iPhone 5s and galaxy s5.

The only thing making me want to upgrade at this point is a larger screen iPhone, that will probably be the next phone to name it past 12 months in my pocket (so far only the blackberry curve has made that milestone lol).

either way.... most of the phones coming out this year are marginally better, and by marginally I mean your average consumer won't be able to notice a significant difference.

• Like Like x 1
  14. RL52

RL52 New Member

Aug 2, 2012

I feel like that too...and it really starts to hurt to pay so much money for these phones...I would really love to spend that money, if there would be some significant technical developments..

• Like Like x 1
  15. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Personally I have not understood the race to update over the last few years as everything seemed to be minor incremental updates. I suppose if one was interested in moving from manufacturer to manufacturer that could make sense, but even that moving from one Android to another makes me scratch my head because those moves are not cheap.

Perhaps my blasé attitude relates to the fact I have never paid for cell phones or service. The company has always provided, but I also have to understand they will not be moving from device to device and that has never been important to me.

I have other things I like to spend money on like home renovations and tools.....But that is me....

16. RL52

RL52 New Member

Aug 2, 2012
    This is all agreed on, even with different brands - one might have a better front camera, but the other has some other special feature - one has half a bilion apps, the other a billion... as if all this makes any difference. I do enjoy to have a smartphone though, it's both fun and helpful, but those people that are being picky just have first world problems, I'd say.

17. Fatima Tayab

Fatima Tayab New Member

Feb 27, 2015

I love Galaxy S4

18. Fatima Tayab

Fatima Tayab New Member

Feb 27, 2015
    Can you please tell me what do you mean by off contract?

19. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Off contract in that sense means the price was not contingent on locking yourself to a two year or three year phone service agreement with the seller. Here in the US phones were always locked to the carrier selling and an unlock code would have to be obtained/purchased in order to use the device with a different service provider. The lower price of buying a phone was offset by the carrier knowing you will spend much more over the term of a service contract month after month...

That is supposedly changing, but it is happening slowly.....

20. Fatima Tayab

Fatima Tayab New Member

Feb 27, 2015
    Thank you very much for the nice explanation.

21. NeoCortex

NeoCortex New Member

Mar 12, 2015
    Thenk. very inetersting information