1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Samsung Infuse 4G

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by naviwilliams, Aug 16, 2011.

1. naviwilliams

Bronze

Feb 4, 2011

Sponsored Ad

I bought a Samsung Infuse yesterday, and I'm now getting a moment to play with it.

Not bad thus far, although I'm nervous about the battery life. I also bought a Platinum Case from Best Buy. For love or money, I now can't get it off! LOL

Priceless really. Anyway, I have the basic apps installed. But, wondering what is a MUST have app?

2. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    I can't remember, what did you have before?

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. naviwilliams

Bronze

Feb 4, 2011
    I had\have an iPhone 4.

5. iP5

iP5
    Bronze

Oct 23, 2010
    GO SMS, Dolphin HD, QuickPic, some kind of power widgets.

What were your most used apps on the iPhone?

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

6. aerocare

aerocare Member

Jun 14, 2010
    My most used apps on iPhone are Mail, iGold, Calendar, Google Voice. Are these available on Android also?

7. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    Don't know which mail program you use on the iPhone, but all your email is available on Android.

No clue what "iGold" is...(if it starts with "iAnything", I am not using it!)

Calendars are definitely available on Android. If you sync to Google calendar, on logging in, it will be there. Other calendars are available as well.

Android is an operating system designed to with with Google, so yes, Google voice works.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

8. aerocare

aerocare Member

Jun 14, 2010
    I can't use just any calendar and I currently sync my iPhone with Outlook using iTunes on Windows 7. I'm planning on changing my iPhone for an HTC EVO or a Samsung Galaxy S2 either one on Sprint.

Is there an app or something that lets me sync all my info to my new phone like I do with iTunes? I need to sync my Notes, Calendar, and Contacts to Outlook. I don't want a calendar where I need to be online to view it and Outlook does the job perfectly for my needs.

I use gmail also for my email but I've got everything else with Outlook already so I'll need something for Outlook or I'll have to stay with iPhone for now. I checked Double Twist but that only copies music and pictures, no contacts, notes or calendar.

9. iP5

iP5
    Bronze

Oct 23, 2010
    So you're using Outlook as a PIM or there's a server behind it? If server then which and we'll match you to the appropriate app. If Outlook solo, I've no experience.

Also IMO SGS2 over EVO 3D.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

10. aerocare

aerocare Member

Jun 14, 2010
    I currently sync my iPhone with Outlook using iTunes on Windows 7.

11. iP5

iP5
    Bronze

Oct 23, 2010
    OK so the HTC comes with Sync software to let you USB sync your phone with Outlook. Not sure what the Samsung solution is.

Really though I'd recommend that you connect your Outlook to a GMail account and then migrate your local PIM data.
    Links for connecting to Outlook to Gmail
    https://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=75726 up to 2007
    http://www.lytebyte.com/2009/08/11/guide-to-setup-gmail-imap-in-outlook-2010/ for 2010

Once you done this then your Outlook will sync to Gmail and your phone will wirelessly sync to Gmail. No more need to cable.

Generally Android does not need to cable connect to a PC so the whole iTunes methodology does not have an equivalent.

12. aerocare

aerocare Member

Jun 14, 2010
    OK someone else gave me Dejaoffice that has apps on both iPhone and Android so I'm going to check that out too. I use gmail but also have Hotmail so I have to keep using Outlook anyway. Syncing directly from Outlook to whatever phone I use is going to be needed. Syncing from Outlook to gmail then to the phone might be extra steps where I might lose data. I'll definitely check out the link anyway to learn more about it.

Thanks !!

13. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Why not foward hotmail to gmail and setup gmail to have the ability to send from either hotmail or gmail INSIDE of gmail?

Import all your hotmail email, contacts, calendar events through gmail, and you can send mail from gmail using your hotmail address and no one will ever know.

Takes sometime to import depending how much info you have, but plugging your phone in to a PC now a days just isnt necessary.

14. aerocare

aerocare Member

Jun 14, 2010
    It's the same thing but I do it all from inside of Outlook. Gmail needs to be connected to wifi to do anything while I can do everything on Outlook on my laptop while not being connected.

15. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Right, but then you have to plug your phone in to a pc to get your info on your phone...you have to have a data plan with your phone, so you always have connection to the internet...why use a cable when you dont need to?

16. aerocare

aerocare Member

Jun 14, 2010
    I don't have a data plan on my iPhone (I use it with wifi) and I plug it into my laptop to charge it anyway so that's not an issue in my personal case.

I'm a pilot and fly international so I use prepaid sim cards from all over the world on my factory unlocked iPhone. I'm thinking about accepting a full time job here in the States so I'm looking at Sprint and their unlimited plan. That's why I'm looking at either the HTC EVO or Samsung Galaxy S2 so I can use them as hot spots for my laptop and my iPhone OR just buy the iPhone 5 when it comes out on Sprint next month. I'm just doing my research now so I'm ready.

17. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    I hear ya, but if you get an Android phone in the US, you MUST have a data plan.

18. iP5

iP5
    Bronze

Oct 23, 2010
    And again, since you're looking at Sprint for unlimited data, connect a phone to the laptop to sync is old school.

Basically let the laptop by your one bottle neck instead of two being the laptop and the cable sync.
    When ever the laptop syncs it's local data goes to gmail and then back down through your Sprint unlimited connection to your phone. And really, if you're gonna hotspot the thing it sounds like it'll never go offline so both devices would stay in sync wirelessly.

Charging from the laptop to keep the hotspot powered makes sense but just forget about cable syncing.

I also use hotmail and gmail and just forward hot to G and let G send as from either.

19. aerocare

aerocare Member

Jun 14, 2010
    I actually had an Android prepaid on T-Mobile without a plan too but that was before I changed it to the iPhone.

Anyway if I buy the HTC or Samsung or iPhone5, it'll be on Sprint due to their coverage in my home town so I'll have data on it.

My main concern is I need a program for my laptop where I can use the calendar offline like I do with Outlook or a phone where I can sync with my laptop's Outlook. Gmail Calendar won't let me do that.

20. aerocare

aerocare Member

Jun 14, 2010
    Ok I posted while you were posting. I'll research these issues a little more. Thanks.

How do I get around using the calendar offline on my laptop so I don't have to be turning on the hotspot every time I want to check something on my laptop?

21. iP5

iP5
    Bronze

Oct 23, 2010
    http://www.google.com/support/calendar/bin/answer.py?answer=89955

That is suppose to sync last 3 version of Outlook Calendar to XP, Vista, 7.