1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

samsung s 2 went under water

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by Iannp, Dec 15, 2013.

1. Iannp

Iannp New Member

Dec 15, 2013

Sponsored Ad

Hi. Need some help. phone went under water and died naturally..dried it out in a bag of rice for a few weeks . its going again but has a few problems.. computer wont recognise it. kies via wifi works ok. software update appears to work OTA but no update is available..Its had 1 small update since new. Android version is 4.0.4...
    usb debugging tells me to attach the cable when its already attached. wif fi works ok. battery percentage shows 100% or 99% all the time until it dies. took about 100 reboots to finally get it working.. thinking I should root the phone and try a custom mod or revert to original s2 firmware and see if that fixes it. Any suggestions out there????

2. Iannp

Iannp New Member

Dec 15, 2013
    phone has not been rooted. its just a spare phone now so I thought I might learn something from it about android. Telstra 4 g model and they are slack with any updates but very expensive to repair....
    Cheers...

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Salt water or fresh water? How long was it submerged?

Sounds like you did the right thing with putting it in rice as long as there was no attempt just to see if it would start before putting it in rice. However, the rice trick is not a panacea that will guarantee the phone will work forever. Salt water is a killer so if it was salt water don't bother. The interior components and boards will corrode. Fresh water may be absorbed by the rice, but there are still nooks and crannies that can collect. If it was in rice for weeks even those pockets should be gone.

Sounds like there could be an issue with your USB port and if that started after the drowning you may not recover. Do try shooting some compressed air around the port just in case you got a small piece if rice wedged in. Can you see if tehre are any signs of corrosion on the connectors?

Have you tried different USB cables?

5. Iannp

Iannp New Member

Dec 15, 2013
    Hi. Yes I've tried a few cables. Phone booted up first go today. Strangely sounds all play but music does not unless earphones are attached. Status bar correctly shows no sim and WiFi radar working correctly.
    Can't see any corrosion. Splash lasted about a second or two and I shook only a few drops out of phone but did try to start it.

6. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    If it went under water, even for a few seconds and you tried it to see if it would start then it is very likely there is internal damage.

You will continue to have little problems here and there and then at some point the phone will fail.

Buy a new device.....

7. nilofar shaikh

Bronze

Oct 20, 2015
    Have you tried placing it under the container of rice, if not try it and also consult Samsung Service Centre before buying a new device.

8. BrianRobins

Bronze

Oct 9, 2015
    Looks like you now how to dry your phone with in the rice. But if there still defect you must consult it in samsung service just like the others said..