1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Sign-In Error Notification of Unknown Origin

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by Arthur Hakhverdian, Oct 28, 2012.

1. Arthur Hakhverdian

Arthur Hakhverdian New Member

Oct 28, 2012

Sponsored Ad

Hi, folx. First post

I've been getting this weird notification, which, upon tapping, presents me with some registration box prompting me for email address and password. There is no title or label on the box indicating what app or service it came from but the email field is pre-filled with one of my email addresses. I tried entering in every conceivable email and password combination I've got in order, by method of elimination, to try and figure out what it belonged to but every time, after a brief progress spinner with the message Authenticating..., it would say: The password is not correct. Please try again.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    I contacted both the manufacturer and the carrier and neither recognized this box. The possibility of it being some phishing thing occurred to me but then, I haven't downloaded apps from any questionable sources, where I potentially could've caught something. After I clear the notification it reappears a while later. I haven't managed to get the pattern down.
    I'll try to provide as much information as possible. Hope it helps.
    Currently I have the following services/service-based apps on my phone that require a sign-in. Most are a combination of username and password as opposed to email and password. Moreover, I'm successfully logged in to each and every one, so there are no sign-in errors for any of them to notify me of::unsure:

I can't imagine the following info being of any help but here's a list of apps that came pre-installed on my phone:
    Here's a list of apps that I custom-installed:
    Lastly, here's the list of apps in my library that were removed/canceled:
    Needless to say, any help is greatly appreciated.

2. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    I have had this before, and it was a Google Server thing. I could still access all email and Google services but it just kept asking.

Can't really say in this situation

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. Arthur Hakhverdian

Oct 28, 2012
    Thanks for the reply, Scott. Was it identifiably from Google? How was it different from my situation?

5. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    The pull down warning is pretty much identical, but I don't think the user name password popup looked the same.

But then again, you have a Samsung skinned phone so that MAYBE what that warning looks like on that particular phone.

6. Arthur Hakhverdian

Oct 28, 2012
    Yeah. Evidently that GMX Mail app suffers from the exact same problem. I went to Account and sync and tried synching every item one by one, and guess which app invoked that annoying notification. ;) Again, it would've saved me tons of time had there been something on the window saying where it came from.:rolleyes:

Anyway, cheers.

7. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Glad you sorted it out!

8. Erick Kincaid

Bronze

Jun 16, 2011
    Yes may be it is possible, Google server down at that time

9. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Come on, read the solution he provided

10. Arthur Hakhverdian

Oct 28, 2012
    No, no, the service was available as you could read and write emails fine. It's just that the app was crapping out with that notification thing. It was otherwise perfectly functional.