1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

SMS notification bug

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by darkdomino, Jul 13, 2010.

1. darkdomino

darkdomino New Member

Jun 2, 2008

Sponsored Ad

Well I discovered a very unusual bug today on my Droid, that I thought I'd share with you. I got a text message from Facebook (a standard notification) and while Android was in the process of loading the message, it somehow got hung up and crashed.

The message essentially got "stuck" in my notification bar, and the unread SMS icon wouldn't go away, even though I cleared my entire SMS inbox out. Rebooting the phone didn't help, the message still stuck there.

Even if I cleared the notification, my green LED blinker would go off even with no messages in the inbox. I tried going into settings and clearing all the SMS data, but that wouldn't fix the problem. Long story short, I had to do a factory reset to fix it. Quite disturbing, if you ask me.... never seen android screw up like that.

Has anyone had this happen before?

2. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Wow first time i heard anything like that.

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. darkdomino

darkdomino New Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Hey, found a solution to this bug... in case any other Droid users have SMS messages stuck in notifications.

I was having this problem after a bunch of Facebook SMS messages hit my phone at the same time, jammed it up, and one of them got stuck in my notification bar. No mater what I did, I couldn't get rid of it.

What you need to do is download "SMS Cleaner Free" by Carrot App ... here's a link: SMS Cleaner Free - Android app on AppBrain (or do a search in the android market)

Once you've installed SMS cleaner, go to "delete by keyword" and delete the "undeletable" message like that. In my case, I just typed "Facebook" and it instantly found the 1 message, and prompted me to delete it.

After deleting the message, go and clear out the notification. So far it works prefectly. I really hope this helps! Drop me a message on twitter if you need help walking through these steps. http://www.twitter.com/darkdomino

5. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    thanks for the reply DD, glad to see you around here!

6. toriluvsgd

toriluvsgd New Member

Jul 26, 2013
    Thank you! Oh my god this has been annoying me for weeks. Ive got a message stuck in purgatory and after updating to jellybean it got ten times worse, showing up everytime i got a new text

7. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Hi toriluvsgd:

Are you using a Droid too? Hard to believe the same issue exists three years later, but stranger things have happened.

Glad you were able to get a resolution.

Thanks for registering.....

8. rabbyapk

rabbyapk New Member

Jan 6, 2015
    You can use sms clearner app for remove sms notification bug

9. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    No kidding????

10. nilofar shaikh

Bronze

Oct 20, 2015
    All the problems related to any bugs or any other issue could be solved, if you perform a Hard Reset on your device.