1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

SMS Sounds

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by smokediver, Nov 7, 2009.

1. smokediver

smokediver New Member

Nov 7, 2009

Sponsored Ad

Is there a way that I can add my own custom SMS tones to the Droid rather than using the ones that came with it?

2. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    I just put a folder on my SD card called "Ringtones" and put all my mp3s in there. When I went to the setting to change the ringtone almost all of them were in there already. The one I wanted was missing so I just used a file manager, opened it in the music player, and then int he menu you can set it as ringtone.

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. dragonfly

Bronze

Mar 27, 2007
    You just have to set up the right file structure on the SD card. Follow the steps below:

1. Move everything off the card first (copy everything to your computer so you dont lose everything, you're going to format it. This tends to not work if you don't format. I don't know why.

2. Assuming you connected your phone to your PC, it shows up as a drive. Right click that drive and do a quick format.

3. When it's done create three folders in the main part of the SD Card (don't make these subfolders of something else) with these exact names:

alarms
    notifications
    ringtones

4. Drop any mp3s you want to use in the appropriate folder.

5. Now copy all the other folders back into the root of the folder

6. Disconnect the Droid

Now you should be able to set the sounds to be whatever you would like.

Hope this helps.

5. smokediver

smokediver New Member

Nov 7, 2009
    That worked, thanks a bunch!

6. dragonfly

Bronze

Mar 27, 2007
    No prob man was a good question. Have fun with it.

7. kscwv

kscwv New Member

Mar 26, 2007
    Ok, I dont get it. I did what was said 2 times. I see nothing on how or where to add a different tone to sms for each contact that I want. Am i missing something.

8. dragonfly

Bronze

Mar 27, 2007
    You cant set diff sounds a sms sounds per contact, the only thing that you can set per contact is the ringtone, not the sms sound when they message you. You can only have one default sms sound but it can be any of the sounds in your phone that you put in that "notifications" folder.

Hope that helps.

9. dragonfly

Bronze

Mar 27, 2007
    Found a program called smspop (free app) that allows you to customize sms's from contacts you can set the color of the led that blinks as well as the sound of the sms when it comes in, its pretty neat.

10. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    i discovered that you don't have to format the card to do this. just create the folders and put the mp3 in them. then go to the settings and they will be listed. super simple.

11. dragonfly

Bronze

Mar 27, 2007
    Nice job! even though you cut up my work :dft012:wink jk

12. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    lol. sorry. :dft011:tounge_out

13. kscwv

kscwv New Member

Mar 26, 2007
    If you get smspopup working let me know, I have it on my phone but not all contacts show up when you go to assign tones. I might just give up. lol

14. Nanite2Ender

Nanite2Ender New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Right now my phone is charging, via connection to my computer, and when I go to My Computer the phone isn't showing up as a removable drive. Is there something I need to do or and I missing a step somewhere?

15. dragonfly

Bronze

Mar 27, 2007
    Your missing something, after you plug your phone into your computer look in the notifications bar slide it down and you will see an option to turn on the file storage on the device tap that on the screen and than click on "mount" and than its all good and set to file transfer :dft010:big_smile
    Hope that helps ya.

16. Nanite2Ender

Nanite2Ender New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Thanks! That helped. I'm used to first messing with a phone, then if I can't figure something out, look to the supplied manual with the manual for the Droid is basically useless.

17. dragonfly

Bronze

Mar 27, 2007
    That's what we are all here for, to help each other out.

18. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    the "manual" is actually just a quick start guide. but the usb instructions are included on that quick start guide.

19. jaja714

jaja714 New Member

Jun 23, 2006
    SD card

Actually, just putting them in the newly created folders (notifications) didn't work for me until I rebooted the phone.