1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

So 2 things I've noticed....are they consistent with you?

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by EQBob, Dec 30, 2010.

1. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007

Sponsored Ad

So 2 things I've noticed with my phone (Fascinate)

1) I take it off the charger and it like almost immediately drops down to 95-98% charge, (based on the battery widget I'm using). I then notice a fairly quick drop curve til about 75-80%, then a very flat curve until the lowest I've dropped it to, which was 35%. Do y'all see the same types of discharge curves?

2) I use Advanced Task Killer. Actually, the lady at the Verizon store downloaded it and installed it straight off the bat saying I'd definitely want it. But anyhow....

I notice that apps continually "restart". Like.... Nook, Voice Commands, City ID, Pocket Agent, etc.. I've killed all those things multiple times this morning and yet they still pop back up every time I look at the list of running "stuff". How do you kill the damn things dead? There's no use in them running in the background, unless *I* want them running in the background. Is there some place to set what can run and what can't, etc? Do ya'll see the same behaviour? I know I want mail running, etc...but I don't need City ID, etc...and they're just going to suck battery life.

Thoughts?

2. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    That is fairly typical for all Android devices.

You really dont even need a task manager, Android does manages apps on its own fairly well. I used to use one to kill my old exchange account because it would constantly get stuck in a loop.

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    So the number of apps running doesn't impact battery life? (seems odd)
    I hear what you're saying, but am curious as to why these things start by themselves.
    Just downloaded the everything android app.

5. Weapondrift

Gold

Feb 1, 2008
    You are correct, think of it like this: you leave a light on in your house, you eventually turn it off. You don't need to hire someone to come over and turn it off for you.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Everything Android App

6. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    well, extending the analogy, my lights don't start by themselves, (unless I'm not there and they're on a timer <G>), and leaving them running impacts my electric bill (although less so with the switch to CF bulbs <G>).

And I'm not hiring someone to turn them off, I'm doing it, because they shouldn't be on in the first place?

7. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    So let me ask this a different way....

If you look at the list of running apps / processes / widgets / etc. on your phone, do you also see a significant number of installed apps which are running which you did not start, say....since the last reboot. If so, why does this happen?

8. dgray636

Bronze

Aug 22, 2010
    I have Pocket Agent installed, and it has never started on its own.

Sent from my DROIDX using Everything Android App

9. bberryhill0

Silver

Feb 14, 2009
    Look at the CPU time used by background apps. Most are at zero so are not using battery. If you kill them and they restart that takes power.

Android handles memory just fine on its own. Idiot reps who install apps on new phones should be shot.

Swyped from my Eris running xtrSense 3.

10. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    I have. Virtually no battery is being used by apps. As for the rep, she asked me first <G>. I agreed. I was used to windows mobile where that was an absolute necessity, along with cleaning crap repeatedly. That app has lots of other features that make it useful as well.
    What is "bothering" me is why some of these apps start in the first place. There is NO reason a state farm app should start upon a phone reboot.
    How do I tell it to stop ??

11. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007

12. PacoJr67

Bronze

Mar 6, 2007
    The OS will close apps when it needs the memory for another app (similar to what WinMo did in later versions), personally I was never big on task killing on winMo either (but i was on cleaning)

13. bberryhill0

Silver

Feb 14, 2009
    Generally speaking, to stop bloatware from running you have to root and remove the app.

14. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    Well, there is no way I'm rooting my phone. I can uninstall apps if need be, but I need my phone and its capabilities on a daily basis and have no intention of going down the rooting road.

15. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    Well, it seems that any number of apps install themselves to start automatically upon a phone reboot. Not sure why that behaviour is allowed?

16. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    I waited until the year was up and mu Xanax prescription was filled! Then I rooted! ;)

Sent from my Droid using Everything Android App

17. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    Just found a very interesting post in another forum.... tis what some of you have been saying, only more explicitly.....

•Android is hard coded to automatically kill a task when more memory is needed.
    •Android is hard coded to automatically kill a task when it’s done doing what it needs to do.
    •Android is hard coded to automatically kill a task when you haven’t returned to it in a long time.
    •Most services (while possibly running in the background) use very little memory when not actively doing something.
    •A content provider is only doing something when there is a notification for it to give. Otherwise it uses very little memory.
    •Killing a process when it isn’t ready only causes it to have to reload itself and start from scratch when it’s needed again.
    •Because a task is likely running in the background for a reason, killing it will only cause it to re-spawn as soon as the activity that was using it looks for it again. And it will just have to start over again.
    •Killing certain processes can have undesirable side effects. Not receiving text messages, alarms not going off, and force closes just to name a few.
    •The only true way to prevent something from running at all on your phone would be to uninstall the .apk.
    •Most applications will exit themselves if you get out of it by hitting “back” until it closes rather than hitting the “home” button. But even with hitting home, Android will eventually kill it once it’s been in the background for a while.

18. bberryhill0

Silver

Feb 14, 2009
    Basically background processes haven't been removed from RAM because the OS doesn't need the space yet. They are not consuming CPU cycles but are still loaded so if you decide to switch back to that process the OS doesn't have to reload it.

It's really cool that 40 year old mainframe concepts (OS 360/370) are in our pockets. iPxxx products aren't there yet.