1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

So, if'n I were gonna root?

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by sulster, Jun 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sulster

Bronze

Nov 17, 2006

Sponsored Ad

What ROM?

2. Blackmet0

Bronze

Apr 5, 2011
    What phone?

Sent from my DROIDX using Everything Android

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. sulster

Bronze

Nov 17, 2006
    Oh! D'oh!! Droid X

5. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    CM7 was just made available for it...it what I use...good stuff.

6. sulster

Bronze

Nov 17, 2006
    Back in my days of rooting the Omnia, there was a good site with all of the available ones. Is there a the same or similar? Is CM7 Gingerbread or Froyo?

Also, anyone heard of Bugless Beast?

7. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    CM7 is Ginerbread...
    Yes, after root download ROM Manager...its a good place to find ROMs for your device

8. sulster

Bronze

Nov 17, 2006
    Thanks. I want to see if my most prized apps will work before I do this.

9. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    All apps should work just the same after rooting.
    Which apps are you concerned about?

10. sulster

Bronze

Nov 17, 2006
    Mostly Cardiotrainer so y'all can keep seeing my obsessive Tweets about working out! ;) And Touchdown Exchange.

11. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Hahaha yea they should work just fine.
    After rooting make sure you also download Titanium Backup to back up all your apps and your apps data so if you install a new ROM you can re install them with all your data so you dont lose anything. Typically when installing a different ROM on a phone you want to do a factory reset first so you make sure that you are running 100% the new ROM, for updates of ROMs a full wipe isnt necessary.

• Like Like x 1
  12. sulster

Bronze

Nov 17, 2006
    And where does one first encounter this wonderful rooting information? I saw a reference to a "One Click" rooting program for Windows users (like me!) but is that too good to be true? Also, you are telling me to Root, *then* Factory reset? Should I remove my external card just for good measure?

13. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    • Like Like x 1
  14. sulster

Bronze

Nov 17, 2006
    /nervous

So, in theory, I install that, root the device, download Titanium Backup from the Market, back it up and then install CM7?

ETA:
    Installed z4mod on my phone and am trying to do Permanent Root. It just goes around and around. "Running exploit in order to obtain root access..." but doesn't do anything. I mean, it's been at least 4 minutes...

15. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Did you get the update to 2.3 from Verizon?

16. sulster

Bronze

Nov 17, 2006
    Yep. Am I screwed?

17. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Its not that easy yet. I have been reading it seems like you need to flash back to Froyo and then do a few more steps, I cant guarantee any of your data will be saved.

If you aren't in a rush, maybe you hold off until something is updated to the official released version....

18. sulster

Bronze

Nov 17, 2006
    Yeah, I'm relatively ambivalent about it... so, I'll just hold off for now. Thanks, as always ;)

19. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    No problem, sorry :(

20. sulster

Bronze

Nov 17, 2006
    No way! You are awesome! (Everyone here is!!) :)

• Like Like x 2
  21. bigierc

bigierc New Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Where at what is the easiest way to root. My phone downloaded that last ota update from Sprint so the software is now the 4.22 something or another.

Sent from my PC36100 using Everything Android

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.