1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

So what happened to the Galaxy Nexus and the ICS 4.1 update?

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by EQBob, Aug 14, 2012.

1. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007

Sponsored Ad

There were articles stating it would be released, even to VZW, etc, by middle of what...July? What ever happened to it. My phone hasn't seen a bit (ah...bad pun) of an update.

2. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    The GSM was the one they were talking about getting 4.1 (which is Jelly Bean by the way). However you can thank VZW for taking their sweet ass time with the OS update. Maybe September?

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    Oh...my bad. Thought it was the VZW version. Thanks for info!

5. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Its always easier to update the GSM because it comes directly from Google. However the VZW update comes from Google, but must be approved BY Verizon first. The CDMA proprietaries are the reason why Google cant just release the update directly.

Now, you CAN get custom ROMs with Jelly Bean on them, with AOSP code and Verizon Proprietaries, just like you would if it came directly from Verizon, just that it hasn't passed the Verizon test. But I can tell you I have been using Jelly Bean with all official files and it works great.

6. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    I've never been into the rooting and custom ROMs. I know it works great for some and more power to them, it just isn't for me. Don't have the time to devote to that. I've forgotten now...when jelly bean does come to me, what goodies will it bring?

7. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Cavities!

8. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    I dont think a date was ever released, but Sept/Oct. probably.
    Smoother/quicker interface from ICS, as well as Google Now, which is a voice search and much much more.
    http://www.google.com/landing/now/

9. ParaCAD

Bronze

Sep 19, 2008
    The improvements of Jelly Bean over ICS are significant. Looks is basically the same with a few enhancements..I love it. It's like buttah

10. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Anytime I hear someone say its 'smooth as butter' I want to stab them in the eye :)

11. ParaCAD

Bronze

Sep 19, 2008
    Haha! Sergey said it first....

12. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Smooth as silk any better?

13. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Slightly :)
    Honeslty it stems from following nightly builds of new ROMs, and after a new one comes out TONS of people post (over at XDA) 'runs great, smooth as butter' for like 3-4 pages...just a pet peeve.

14. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    At least pet peeves don't bark......:)

15. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    But they don't wag their tail when you come home either......

16. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    You don't have to feed or walk them.....

17. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    Peeves definitely get fed (g)

18. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Up early today Bob? How you feeling?

19. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    Bronchitis set in between last night at 6pm when I felt the first sign (sore throat) and 4am when it was full-blown. Doctor appointment at 3:30. Until then, sleep.

20. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Sounds like you are just trying to avoid physical therapy....

Just Kidding!

Feel better....

21. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    Working on it. Levoquin and prednisone on board. Now it is just time and keeping my stomach from getting empty and dropping.