1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Substitute keyboards for phones?

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by EQBob, Mar 10, 2013.

1. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007

Sponsored Ad

Are there any?

How would they bring about a performance improvement or accuracy improvement given that there is only so much physical space to deal with?

Have people tried other keyboards other than Swype? (for me personally, I'd rule that one out as I tried it several times and hated it and thought the editing capabilities to remove words sucked moose)

2. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    I have tried most of them. I like Smart Keyboard Pro, because it was very customizable. On my tablet, I love SwiftKey Flow. Hated the "swype" type keyboards, but this one is by far the best I have used.

My phone has a custom ROM on it, and the keyboard that came on it is beautiful, so I use that. TouchPal is also nice.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    So what does a smart keyboard pro do? What about it was customizable? I guess I'm not thinking out of th box, but how would you even customize a keyboard. Did you make it non qwerty? Did you change the key sizes? What about swift key is different from smart keyboard pro?

Serious questions-not trying to be funny or obnoxious.....

5. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    If you 'install' a keyboard, can you uninstall it? Is it just like an app?

6. chris

Administrator

Jun 1, 2006
    I know some people love Swype and other gesture based keyboards -- I just cannot get behind them. It might be because I never spent enough time unlearning what I expect from a keyboard.

7. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    I went from Swype to Swiftkey (before they added Flow) back to stock 4.2.2 keyboard which has the swype style built in.

I kind of like the basic keyboard, never did anything outrageous to need crazy things. But now that the stock has the gesture based typing, I am all over it.

8. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    Is there some video on YouTube or elsewhere that covers the this gesture based control? Is that different from Swyping? I could never get used to the swyping.

9. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    That's basically what it is, swyping.

10. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    Yes, once a keyboard is installed, it can be uninstalled. You can also choose between the keyboards you have installed. There is a video attached to the app for SwiftKey.

With Smart Keyboard, you are able to change the size of the keys. Also, I like the "predictions" on the SwiftKeyboard and on the keyboard built in to this ROM.

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 2

11. PacoJr67

Bronze

Mar 6, 2007
    I used swift key x for a while on my X2 a while back, I also used flit on my MotoACTV but that's only really good for a screen that small

12. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    Thanks Sherri. Good info.