1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Switching to Android finally.

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by dwp1975, Dec 23, 2009.

1. dwp1975

Bronze

May 19, 2008

Sponsored Ad

I finally made that plunge, my Eris should be at my doorstep tomorrow by 3pm. I needed a device to develop on and I liked this one way better then the Motorola Sholes. Not a fan of sliders.

2. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    your going to enjoy your purchase...i had fun messing with it last night
    welcome to EA!!

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. dwp1975

Bronze

May 19, 2008
    Thanks, I got it about 15 minutes ago and I JUST opened the box. I told myself I'd wait until Christmas to unbox it. Oh well guess I am a weak weak soul...lol

5. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    haha no reason to wait!

6. dwp1975

Bronze

May 19, 2008
    Quick question....

During the loooooooooooooong boot sequence that the Eris takes to boot up I noticed a few things:

1.) there were 2 or 3 what seemed like dead pixels (small white specs), but they seem to go away once the phone was active.

2.) the bottom left and right of the screen is lighter then the rest from either the light leakage at the bottom or the screen is washed out there when the background is black during the boot sequence, but looks normal when the screen is different colors.

Is this normal behavior or should I take my device to my nearest Verizon store for a replacement?
    :016:upset

7. dwp1975

Bronze

May 19, 2008
    Got two minor questions about setting up my eris:

1.) Is the trackball the only notification for unread messages or is there a setting for the LED to be my notifier? I saw the option to turn off the trackball notification, if I enable that will the LED default as my notifier or will I have no visual notifier?

2.) I set up my gmail account thru the mail icon then I noticed there is a gmail icon. The gmail I setup and read thru the mail icon gets all my new mail but doesn't pull my read emails from before I switched to the Eris. The gmail icon how ever has the old unread emails but doesn't pull the new emails. Did I screw up my gmail setup? Do I need to delete my gmail and set it back up again? Please advise.

8. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    not sure of #1 but with number #2 delete both email accounts (mail and gmail) and resetup gmail

setup my wifes gmail account and it pulls old and new just fine

9. dwp1975

Bronze

May 19, 2008
    Does her Gmail icon show the green circle with the number of unread mail? I deleted the gmail address in my mail account and I get emails in the gmail folder, but I get no count notifier and the notification bar shows a "@" instead of the usual mail icon. Is that the expected behavior? Sorry for the dumb questions, I've gotten complacent due to the simplistic UI for the iPhone...lol.

10. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    she said with the gmail icon it doesnt show the number of unread it only shows a new message by the @ at the top of the screen

11. dwp1975

Bronze

May 19, 2008
    Thanks, I guess I am setup correctly. :)

12. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    yes sir
    i would have hoped there would have been a better indicator but i guess not

perhaps there is another homescreen app that may do it...i dunno

13. dmm5157

dmm5157 New Member

Nov 6, 2007
    Make sure you guys are checking out AndroidForums.com. They have some great forums, especially the HTC Hero one. Be sure if you have Sprint, you are visiting the Sprint HTC Hero forum, not the GSM HTC Hero one. There are differences in the hardware and service.

I'd also venture over to PPCWAREZ.org's forums. If you are familiar with warez sites, it can be very useful. :dft010:big_smile

14. dwp1975

Bronze

May 19, 2008
    Maybe a software update will fix it. I've found numerous inconsistencies that google let slip with 1.6 but being a iPhone owner since 1.0 I am more forgiving as I know the iphone missed the boat on a lot more for a lot longer.

15. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    i agree
    it can only get better....right?

16. dwp1975

Bronze

May 19, 2008
    yup, it's only up from here!

17. kelcya

kelcya Guest

i actually switched from the old htc touch lol. android seems pretty good with the multitasking. i love it. my friend has an iphone and i give him a hard time about multitasking on the iphone. feels good man.

18. dwp1975

Bronze

May 19, 2008
    Thought I was at a dealbreaker with android, couldn't for the life of me figure out how to save pics from a MMS message, until I figured out to just tap and keep my figure on it for a menu to appear that allows you to save the photo...

19. bberryhill0

Silver

Feb 14, 2009
    The lack of any indication that I have a new Gmail is not cool. The @ sign for two seconds is not enough. My Q had it right on the home screen. And where is the 15 minute beep to remind you to check your phone?

20. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    To get the missed call/SMS/mms/email reminder signals, download the app Missed Call from the market. It is free. Even allows you to pick led colors for different settings.

Also, when I have a new Gmail message, it does show in top scroll bar, and stays there until I take action...

21. bberryhill0

Silver

Feb 14, 2009
    Thanks sherri. Will get Missed Calls. On my Eris the @ only stays up for a second or two. Must find a solution. This keyboard is making me nuts. Will have to change that too.

* Did you mean Missed Reminder or is Missed Call 2.0 only?