1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Swype Android Keyboard Leaked in all its Awesomeness

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by TheMadJester, Dec 30, 2009.

1. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009

Sponsored Ad

From BGR via Howard Forums

The very popular Swype keyboard is now available for Android. If you dare.

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009/12/30/download-a-beta-version-of-swype-for-android/

I had never heard of this keyboard until I saw this post. And sweet jesus this is faster. Faster then a greased cheetah on speed strapped to a bullet train.

I can "swype" so much faster now.

2. manic

Bronze

Nov 8, 2009
    Pretty freakin sweet! I'm having trouble with two or three letter words, tries to spell a larger word instead. I probably just need more practice:dft011:tounge_out

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    the trick, for me, is to pause on the letters i want and then make straight lines to the next letter.

5. Lycurgus

Lycurgus New Member

Dec 28, 2009
    interesting, video was kinda hard to see. How exactly does it work? you just slide to the next letter and pause on it then go to the next one? just trying to image how this is faster than just typing....

6. manic

Bronze

Nov 8, 2009
    If you have it installed there is a tutorial. Tap then hold the swype key (the blinking key) to access it. it does get some getting used to. just got to keep practicing. If the physical keyboard is hard to use for you you will love this keyboard. Much better than the regular android virtual keyboard. Its still fatser for me to use the physical keys,but I have small fingers, I guess:dft012:wink

7. manic

Bronze

Nov 8, 2009
    yeah that method definitely helps. The tutorial was a big help also. You don't have to be too precise.if you just start “swyping" away like mad it gets most of the words right You just have to do a spell check before posting, sending a text etc. Its pretty easy to correct though. Just double click the word it got wrong and you will be able to change it. It definitely gets some time getting used to. I'm still having some problems with capitalization and punctuation for example. Im getting better at it. Its much better than the stock virtual keyboard. I usually use the physical keyboard. I hardly used the virtual keyboard but once I really get the hang of this I will use Swype primarily.

8. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    it's way faster then typing. i just meant to do that until you get used to it. it really is super fast once you get the hang of it. you just swipe your finger across the keys that spell the word you want and it almost always knows what it is. it's nuts.

yeah, i'm getting faster and faster with it. i agree. i'll probably stick with this as my primary keyboard.

9. powerwagon

Bronze

Nov 24, 2009
    Where do you get it?

10. manic

Bronze

Nov 8, 2009
    There are instructions on the site

11. powerwagon

Bronze

Nov 24, 2009
    I have to say, I can type pretty well, but I can probably type almost twice as fast using swype. Awesome awesome awesome! I definitely recommend watching the tutorial, otherwise one would never figure out how to swype "repeating" letters, capital letters etc.

12. gnath9

Silver

Feb 10, 2009
    this swype is fricken nuts man !!! lol
    I am in total awe of this :dft002:zombie it really is amazing. It seems the less accurate you try to be and the faster you go the better it works. :dft011:tounge_out
    thanks again for sharing your find. :thumbup:

13. Nanite2Ender

Nanite2Ender New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    I thought it was a great app. But it bogged down my phone enough for it to urk me. I'd prefer a faster phone than faster typing.

14. gnath9

Silver

Feb 10, 2009
    I have not noticed anything yet but, it is a pre release software.I also agree if I have any problems I will uninstall.

15. manic

Bronze

Nov 8, 2009
    What problems were you having exactly? I was a little concened since it was a leaked beta. I haven't noticed any issues so far. What slowed down on the phone?

16. Nanite2Ender

Nanite2Ender New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    It basically just made my phone lag. Switching between apps, screens, rotating the phone, you name it. It was much slower. As far as the app itself, it was awesome. Though even though I checked the option to add a space between words, it never put a space after I inputted a word.

But you're right, it's in beta form. Once these things are fixed, I will re-install it.

17. Lycurgus

Lycurgus New Member

Dec 28, 2009
    I downloaded and gave it a try. I must say at first i was kidna like not sure about this, but I am glad i downloaded it. very cool! like it a lot so far.

18. gnath9

Silver

Feb 10, 2009
    I'm using it now !!! And I must tell you I am liking it more and more all the time. Everyone should thank the Madjester for this one.:dft012:wink

19. occfan

occfan New Member

Feb 14, 2009
    is anyone worried about the info that is being collected when you sign in to accounts with passwords ?? just asking . i like it but dont want to be sorry for using it !

20. gnath9

Silver

Feb 10, 2009
    I did notice the warnings and figure if I need to I will just slide open my keyboard to log in to sites. I still use my physical keyboard for a lot of functions. Swype makes it very nice to write longer messages. But, you are correct that is something to take into account if security is an issue.

21. Soli

Soli New Member

Oct 15, 2009
    SlideIT for Android

Where can I download it ?