1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Swype Question

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by EQBob, Feb 26, 2011.

1. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007

Sponsored Ad

After learning and starting to use Swype, I find that there are a bunch of words that I've misspelled that have been entered into the dictionary. Swype is constnatly telling me about the right word that was covered up because my finger brain coordinated is boneheaded at best on a virtual keyboard (I do miss my Saga keys).

A previous post in another thread said that you could go into manage applications and delete the data under Swupe, but when I click on that, there are dire warnings that make it sound like it actually removes all of the application.

Can anyone confirm that
    Settings, Applications, Manage Applications, Swype, Clear Data really only clears the Data and not the application itself. Message I get is:

"All of this applications data will be deleted permanently. This includes all files, settings, accounts, databases and so on"

Swype came with my phone, all installed and nice and ready to go. I don't even a copy of something to reinstall, if this would screw it up.

2. Weapondrift

Gold

Feb 1, 2008
    Ok going into settings>manage applications>clear data will make you wish you hadn't. I doesn't erase swype but it erases all settings and when you use it, it stops working.
    There is a user dictionary when you first install swype. Let me see if I can find it.

Ok while you have swype pulled up, on the bottom left side if the keyboard is a SWYPE icon an an "i" press that and you should see a window that says options. Press that and it well go to a black screen, all the way at the bottom there a help menu that should help you a little bit further

Incredibly Swpyed...get it?...its a pun...

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    Thanks Weap. I knew how to get to the user's manual, but it only tells you how to delete a word at a time and assume you know all the misspelled words you have in there. I probably have dozens from trying to learn how to use the dang thing. Don't even know what they are.

There's nothing in there that tells you how to find and remove the entire user dictionary.

and for the life of me, I can't get it to work to delete a damn thing.

Type a word
    Double tap to highlight it
    Tap the Swype key.

All the instructions say there's supposed to be an option appears to delete it.

Don't see it. All is says is "New word?"

5. EQBob

Gold

Sep 24, 2007
    How do you get to "swype" a character that is on the shift, like ( or ) or ? For the life of me, I can't get it to work....

6. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    I just re-downloaded Swype to try this. For alternate chacters, doesn't the "symbol" key do that? Not seeing a user dictionary on here.
    Think I am going back to Smart Keyboard Pro.
    Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk