1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

T-Mobile Customers Only Can Pre-Order G1?

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by johnnydangerously, Sep 23, 2008.

1. johnnydangerously

Bronze

Aug 20, 2006

Sponsored Ad

While I understand they want to reward their customers, this doesn't make much sense. They make this big splash today and anyone who isn't a T-Mobile customer cannot pre-order the G1. I was hoping to get a pre-order in so that I could review the G1 for the site. I can only guess that they are expecting shortages, so this will minimize the amount of orders. Still, wouldn't they want people who are jumping from other carriers. That was the big buzz when AT&T got the iPhone. How many people would be jumping ship on Verizon, etc. to get the iPhone. I would think T-Mobile would be doing the same. We'll see... I signed up to be notified as to availability. Still plenty of time until launch.

2. jigyasa

Bronze

Sep 21, 2008
    Are you sure it is so? It sounds ridiculous though. Why would a firm like T-Mobile, for once, having an edge over the market biggies do such a thing. Weird.

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. theevilone

theevilone New Member

Sep 26, 2008
    I have a tmobile flex pay account and do not count me as a tmobile customer, have to wait until oct 22 also.

5. johnnydangerously

Bronze

Aug 20, 2006
    So I'm guessing they won't open up pre-orders to everyone. I guess they cannot, since a large number of people move their phone numbers. Still, they should offer pre-orders if you start a new account. I guess things can change between today and October 22nd -- perhaps they are worried about customers who sign up today and cancel before the launch. I'm betting they'll offer those who sign up an opportunity to get the G1 on launch day. My guess is that we all receive an email on the 20th. Sign up and you'll have it on the 22nd.

6. Sav

Sav
    Bronze

Sep 28, 2008
    From my understanding, people can pre-order them, and then on launch day pick it up without having to worry about actually being able to get one.
    If I understand correctly, thats a pretty good idea, IMO. I wish they did that for the iPhones...

7. PunkZanyJ

PunkZanyJ New Member

Oct 10, 2008
    I've been a T-Mo customer for 8 years, and while I'm satisfied, this is the first time they've made me feel special. That includes the time Catherine Zeta Jones left me a VM welcoming me to T-Mobile.
    I do get what you're saying, but there is a positive side to this sort of special treatment. It tells potential customers, "hey, join our club, we give our customers first dibs." A lot of companies don't seem to understand it costs them 5 times as much money to attract a new customer than it does to just keep current customers happy. Most companies work the opposite philosphy, give all the freebies and deals to new customers and give almost nothing to current customers. Doesn't help with ROI, actually destroys it, because not only is it cheaper to keep a current customer, you end up making more off them over the lifetime of that relationship. (Yes, I used to work for a customer experience consulting firm)
    I was happy with T-Mo except for their phone lineup. That alone had given me a wandering eye for the past year or so. I had heard some rumors about "The Google Phone" but until I saw a short blurb on joemygod.com I didn't think anything more about it. Now I've preordered, read the manual and quick start guide, and played with the emulator. Totally ready for my new phone!

8. Chris888

Chris888 New Member

Oct 10, 2008
    I am a current T-Mobile customer and pre-ordered my G1 October 7th or 8th and was told I should recieve it November 10th!! Don't expect an offer to pre-order for October 22nd. I am a current Treo user and can't wait to see the new G1!!!!