1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

T-Mobile G1 Video Unboxing

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by johnnydangerously, Oct 22, 2008.

1. johnnydangerously

Bronze

Aug 20, 2006

Sponsored Ad

Feelin' kinda lucky to get one of these today.:rolleyes: Here's the video unboxing for those wondering "what's in the box?"

2. Sav

Sav
    Bronze

Sep 28, 2008
    Nice unboxing, Chris.

Can we expect a video review? :)

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. johnnydangerously

Bronze

Aug 20, 2006
    Definitely the written variety, but yeah I'll be sure to include videos. (that is once I get the dopey thing connected to Google.)

You cannot use the phone until you connect with your gmail account. Reception in my house is terrible, but it also might be a provisioning issue. I might drive around later to see if I can get a better signal. Anxious to give this phone a proper trial.

5. johnnydangerously

Bronze

Aug 20, 2006
    BTW, thanks for watching.;)

6. Sav

Sav
    Bronze

Sep 28, 2008
    No problem...but you HAVE to have a gmail account to use the phone?

7. johnnydangerously

Bronze

Aug 20, 2006
    Yep. In fact, you cannot do anything with the phone until you sign in with a gmail account. I went down the block and was able to get a solid 3G signal. I was set up in a few minutes. Coverage in my home is poor, but I enabled WiFi. That's allowing me to browse the Android Market, the web, etc.

8. Sav

Sav
    Bronze

Sep 28, 2008
    That's interesting.
    I guess it truly is a google phone...
    Its like the iPhone and an AT&T SIM card...unless you're unlocking it.

9. johnnydangerously

Bronze

Aug 20, 2006
    Yep! You do have a removable battery. My understanding is that it will not work on AT&T's 3G network, even if it's unlocked. Most of my phones are with AT&T, so I'll be unlocking as soon as it's available. I like to use my one account and then swap my SIM card between phones. This allows me to use a wide array of phones and keep one number. Luckily, for the past few months I've been able to use them all with AT&T.

10. ravman

Bronze

Oct 23, 2008
    From my understanding (correct me if I am wrong). T-Mobile's technology runs on 1700Ghz & 2100Ghz. No other cell phone company in the US uses that frequency. So unless the new G1 can run on AT&T (850Mhz & 1900Ghz) frequencies, it will never work on non T-Mobile networks.

11. Sav

Sav
    Bronze

Sep 28, 2008
    Wait... 3G won't work on AT&T? Or the whole thing in general?

And I know what you mean, Chris ;)

12. johnnydangerously

Bronze

Aug 20, 2006
    You might be right. I was thinking unlock, break the contract and start rocking the G1 on AT&T. Time to switch up my plans.

13. krazydave2000

krazydave2000 New Member

Oct 14, 2008
    Nice vid. I shouldve taped my unboxing...Took me 30 seconds lol..... Tore threw that thing with quickness!!!! - Dave

14. johnnydangerously

Bronze

Aug 20, 2006
    Dave-
    The unboxing videos spoil all the fun. I could have ripped this thing open in the time it took me to find good lighting for the video.:rolleyes:

15. ravman

Bronze

Oct 23, 2008
    I wonder why they decided to go with T-Mobile and not AT&T? Unless Apple made AT&T sign a clause saying they would not take on Android? Even Verizon would have been a better choice than T-Mobile.

It's like how when Microsoft released the Xbox 360, they failed to stick a HD DVD drive into the unit. And then Sony came along and stuck a blu ray into every PS3 which helped lead to the demise of HD DVD.

Don't make sense?

16. cgray999

cgray999 New Member

Oct 25, 2008
    when I do a network selection I can select AT&T so from a radio standpoint the device is set up to work on multiple bands. Given T-mobile is a european company it makes sense. However Iam not sure why I would T-mobile Rocks

17. ninjaap

ninjaap Guest

I believe you are mistaken, the G1 uses 850/1900Mhz. So it will be compatible with At&t.

http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/phones/Cell-Phone-Detail.aspx?cell-phone=T-Mobile-G1-with-Google-Black

I'm planning on using an unlocked G1 with A&t.

18. Sav

Sav
    Bronze

Sep 28, 2008
  19. imported_imported_dwp1975

Sep 27, 2008
    It's just like the iPhone and iTunes, can't use it very much without setting up a iTunes account.

20. ravman

Bronze

Oct 23, 2008
  21. Gardenwife

Gardenwife New Member

Nov 5, 2008
    How much does T-Mobile get ya for if you do break contract? I'm not wanting to do that, for we've had consistently great customer service with them for five years now. I'm just curious.

Can't wait for our phones to come on Monday!