1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Testing New Comment System

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by chris, Apr 22, 2010.

1. chris

Administrator

Jun 1, 2006

Sponsored Ad

I'm testing out a new comments system. If you get a chance, please check it out and let me now any feedback.

I might move back to the old one, which is essentially the forum board software.

Any and all feedback is appreciated.

2. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    where is this new comment section?

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. chris

Administrator

Jun 1, 2006
    Articles on the homepage now use a comment system -- Intense Debate. Still early in testing, but I've already noticed a slight bump in comments. We never get many here, so any bump is noticeable.

I've been thinking long and hard about this and I'm not sure that someone who comments on an article is the same user who posts in a forum. Forcing "forum registration", while good for the site, might not be ideal for someone who just wants to comment on an article. Even though I allowed Unregistered folks to comment, there is no followup process. They cannot subscribe, so ultimately you are allowing the conversation to die.

Check it out and let me know what you think. Still some issues getting a link on the homepage, but I'm working on it. Right now, I've had to push articles to their individual pages using "read more".

5. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    i didnt realize that you couldnt subscribe with the other system
    if you had to enter your email addy to post then i thought it would subscribe automatically

at first glance i like it, lots of ways to log in and participate without joining the forums

6. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    i commented on an article but it didnt show up in the forums, is that whats supposed to happen?

7. chris

Administrator

Jun 1, 2006
    No, the new comment system (if I keep it) is independent of forums. I've got a few posts over at vB complaining about how the existing system is horrific.

Right now, I'm going to stick with Intense Debate. The longer that experiment goes, the more apt I'll be to stick with it.

8. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    ok cool
    just making sure

9. chris

Administrator

Jun 1, 2006
    And we're back to a revised version of what we had, which is the vB integration. They seemed to acknowledge that it is a problem, so maybe I give them some time to figure it out. In the meantime, I'm going to shoot for a Facebook Connect type login for comments.

For now, comments will appear in the blog and not in the forums.

We'll see how this goes. {sigh}