1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

The name - G1.

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by tomandrew, Sep 24, 2008.

1. tomandrew

tomandrew New Member

Sep 21, 2008

Sponsored Ad

As far as branding goes, Google are masters. As far as advertising goes, Google are masters. As far as expanding goes, Google are still masters.

But what's up with the name G1?

2. kogama

Bronze

May 16, 2008

all true but think about it most of there products have there names on it.gmail, google chrome, its a google phone and its their first so google 1 so...g1 like gmail

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. jigyasa

Bronze

Sep 21, 2008
    There has been a lot of speculation abut the name "G1". Personally I am not the big a fan of it too. It had to be a "G*" as Kogama said. But they sure could've done better that G1 :)

5. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    I would have liked something like gDroid better...

SteveTaz

6. johnnydangerously

Bronze

Aug 20, 2006
    My guess is that they didn't want to bite off Apple's iPhone. gPhone would have done just that. By naming them G1, etc. people will still call them gPhones, but it just won't be coming from Google themselves. Personally, I think they want people to call them gPhones.

It will be interesting if they mandate some naming convention over all the manufacturers. What if Sprint releases a gPhone in January. Do they have to call it the G2?

Sounds like a branding exercise, but I'm not sure what the right call is...

7. jigyasa

Bronze

Sep 21, 2008
    A "naming convention" would be real bad. As is G1 is not the perfect name, to know it is going to have its successors sucks. I hope Google and/or device developers come up with a better name.

8. kogama

Bronze

May 16, 2008
    G-Inator GHone

G-bot

what kind of names do you expect

9. Sav

Sav
    Bronze

Sep 28, 2008
    Hmm..never thought about that. Good point.

Also, is it a coincidence that its called the G1 and comes with a 1GB memory card?

10. PunkZanyJ

PunkZanyJ New Member

Oct 10, 2008
    Yes, yes it is a coincidence.