1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

The only thing I want that the droid doesn't have.

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by animal, Dec 21, 2009.

1. animal

Bronze

Nov 16, 2009

Sponsored Ad

I have a lincoln mkz, which has the ability to download text messages through bluetooth, but the droid doesn't support it.. does anyone know if its possible to make an app for this or if there is plans to support in an update?

2. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    have you tried searching the market for bluetooth apps? there might be one with the correct protocol. just a guess.

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. animal

Bronze

Nov 16, 2009
    Yeah. There's a ton that just toggle bluetooth on and off.. a search for bluetooth text has no results. Maybe I should write google...

5. speed4tu

speed4tu New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    I have Sync on a Ford f150 also and would like the ability to do the text thing, although there are very few phones on the market that even work together with Sync to do this task.

6. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    actually i think you should lobby ford to make an app for it. you'd probably have a better chance of getting it done. i doubt google would do anything for such a small portion of their users, but ford might. they would have a bigger investment in android users who could use that feature.

7. Eugene

Bronze

Jul 30, 2007
    Android is open source so if you put in the request someone may do it, doesn't have to be google.
    I asked for the anniversary reminders in korganizer and wrote up how I'd do it if I knew C well enough and someone wrote a bit of code, I download the source and merged his code and compiled and tested it and he submitted it.

8. TheMadJester

Bronze

Jul 14, 2009
    well, i sit comfortably in my office chair corrected.

i still think ford should make an app anyway.

9. Eugene

Bronze

Jul 30, 2007
    Ford Sync is made by Microsoft, good luck getting them to fix anything.

A couple years ago another team in my company wrote a app using typeperf.exe. In w2k it was a resource kit tool, in server 2003 and newer its part of the OS. We found that on one server out of thousands for some reason when we tried to get cpu utilization using the * we would get a -1. Went so far as to open a ticket with MS who pointed me an internal KB article not even available on the premier site that says sometimes the * can return a negative number but there is no plan to fix so the work around is to not use it, you have to list each cpu individually which means you have to make the script different depending on how many cpu/cores the server has. They basically said won't fix.

10. animal

Bronze

Nov 16, 2009
    You ask me the issue is phone manufacturers not promoting the feature enough. With the new studies and proposed laws against driving "intexticated" there should be more push for hands free text/spoken sms. Sync also has the option of a few short replies, which can be sent through voice recognition. This keeps the drivers eyes on the road. Which makes the drivers safer. As for making an app for it... I don't think apps can change which bluetooth profiles a phone supports. But, If someone were clever enough to make an app to accomplish this I would be willing to fork out what they asked. I think I'm going to write an essay to motorola and google that conveys such. Maybe ford too

11. Eugene

Bronze

Jul 30, 2007
    An essay won't do anything, you file an enhancement or bug report, or see if your is already listed and vote for it.
    http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/list

I guess I shouldn't say it won't do anything but you should always go through the proper channels first.

12. Aixelsyd

Bronze

Jan 25, 2009
    You may want to try downloading BT file transfer. Not sure if it will have the option you will need tho. I use it all the time to transfer stuff via BT to my desktop, laptop, other cells...etc.

13. animal

Bronze

Nov 16, 2009
  14. Eugene

Bronze

Jul 30, 2007
    What will usually happen is if google pays developers to work on stuff they may have other partner companies that may get a priority and then the most voted for issues get worked on first. Other people will work on things depending on if they want that feature or their skill set. Thats how my request got done in korganizer, I wrote up a nice long paragraph on how to do it so it was real simple for someone good with programming to translate that to a bit of sample code, so I did some of the initial work for them.

15. animal

Bronze

Nov 16, 2009
    Can an app add support for a bluetooth profile though?