1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Thinking about switching to android.

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by paxpatriotica, Nov 10, 2013.

1. paxpatriotica

paxpatriotica New Member

Nov 10, 2013

Sponsored Ad

Hello. I currently use an iphone 4s, 64gb and an ipad 3rd. gen 64 gb. Although I am happy with them and ios 7, I am very impressed by Samsung's note phone and tablet, and I'm thinking about switching. However, There are a few concerns or questions that I have about switching. To start with, is upgradability to another OS when a new one is released. Even though my phone is about two generations behind, it runs ios 7 very well, and the upgrade was seamless. So, could the galaxy note 1 run jelly bean, for example? Another question concerns the SD card. What can you actually store in them? Music, photos, files? Say you have the audible app, for example. Can you store the audiobooks in the card, or are they stored with the app in the main memory?
    Another question. If anyone has switched from ios to android, what do you like about android over ios? what do you wish that ios had that android doesn't have? what is android's strength against iOS?
    Thank you. I ask a lot, but I would like to make an informed decision that I will not regret later.

2. stevetaz

Sep 23, 2008
    Hi paxpatriotica and welcome to eA.

As you might suspect OS upgrades for Android are handled differently than with iOS. Since iOS is a closed system tightly controlled and manufactured by only one company they can create upgrades usable by legacy hardware, but even those are limited when the upgrade requires more advanced hardware. For example, iOS 7 will not run on a iPhone 3GS.

The Note 1 is two years old + and will not run JellyBean. However, there are hopes the new KitKat OS may actually run on the legacy hardware so it may find new life. Generally every new device will be able to upgrade at least two OS upgrade cycles.

What is very helpful in the Android world is the open source market. Rooting an Android has become quite easy and the developers are keeping up with OS versions enabled to run on older hardware. That is available if you choose it.

Personally I do not root and am content to run the device as-is. I don't need all the new bells and whistles because I don't even use the old bells and whistles. I make calls, send and receive email, surf the web a bit, text my daughter and play music.

What can be stored on the media card by applications is really up to an app developer. Some allow for the data and files to be stored on the card and others do not. As a storage medium you can store anything you want on it. Applications can be archived and stored, but in order to run they must be installed to the phone memory.

I hope some of this has been helpful to you. Please do let us know what you decide to do and if you have other questions post away.....

3. Sponsored Advertisement