1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Thinking of making the switch......who can sell it too me...

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by kalina, Jan 2, 2010.

1. kalina

kalina New Member

Mar 16, 2007

Sponsored Ad

:dft002:zombieShow me what you've got boys and girls. Let me have it....

Here's my line up - Samsung to Motorola to MotoQ to Blackberry Curve 8330 (very useful in China without all that junk they try to sell you before you travel), I'm back in the US and now I want something new....

My boyfriend has the iPhone (love his apps) and I'm thinking about switching to the andriod system....

What are the pros and cons (and please do not compare it to the Blackberry, I've already know those differences)?

I've read around through here, but still haven't seen any selling points.

Come on....sell it too me!!!!!! :dft011:tounge_out

FYI: Hello oldies, but goodies.... I've missed chatting with you....

2. gnath9

Silver

Feb 10, 2009
    Well ..... let me put it this way ... every dollar I have spent on a data plan has been a total waste of money until I got the Droid.:005:snicker

I am scared to even fire up the latop because of all the updates I will have to install. :dft002:zombie

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    my wife has the droid eris she switched from an original Q and she absolutely loves it

wasnt sure at first with the touch screen but has gotten used it to

it is super fast, very responsive and just sooo easy to setup and get running

i highly recommend this phone

5. chris

Administrator

Jun 1, 2006
    That's where I find Android falls short. The OS is super fast and responsive, but there's no consistency to the UI when it comes to 3rd party apps. Think about the apps you'll want to use and that should help with your decision.

I assume you are with Verizon, so don't leave out the Palm Pre Plus or even the Palm Pixi Plus. We should know more about those on Thursday.

6. kalina

kalina New Member

Mar 16, 2007
    Ok, I've been out of the loop for a while. What's the UI? and How do I tell the difference between a 3rd party app and apps created by google?

I have Sprint, and their Palms have had a lot of issues and only one offers an SD card slot. My friend has had to have his replaced quite a few times. My sister had one from AT&T and her operating system crashed every time she got a text message.

7. kalina

kalina New Member

Mar 16, 2007
    I went to the store and played with the HERO over the weekend. I must admit it was easier to navigate than I thought it would be (though I would buy the stylus just in case, because I have nails that seem to get in the way a bit with it)

I'm not sure about having a camera that doesn't have a flash (means I'll have to take the cell and the camera out and about with me instead of just one - the least amount of things in the purse, the better, but I guess I can live with that.)

What is the "linked contacts and layered calendar"? I read this and have no idea what that means or even how one would use such things.

I also have questions about well it syncs to my laptop - does it draw from outlook or would I have to load everything into my google account inorder to update my calendars and contacts?

That information seems to be missing from websites or I just haven't found it yet. I might have more questions as the month goes on. I would love to purchase soon, but I have to wait until 2/1 to renew my contract (and get a better discount - it's all about the savings these days) :dft009:smile

8. larsdennert

larsdennert New Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Since the screen is capacitive, my understanding is that there is (basically) no stylus possible because the stylus doesn't absorb the field on the screen like the finger will.

I'd be curious to hear from people on synching experiences. I use google for personal email and full exchange server for work. Does the android sync exchange: contacts, email, calendar and tasks?

I have been using an ipod touch lately because the hard keyboard on my WM phone is giving me CTS. The ipod doesn't sync tasks but the keyboard is easier on the hands. My phone is just a phone now or an access point for the ipod lol.

I hear that the apps for android can only be installed internally vs SD card. How much space is that?

(We actually have an Eris in our company but it is in Hawaii and I only had a very short time to mess with it.)

9. bberryhill0

Silver

Feb 14, 2009
    I just got an Eris. The rumor that Android won't install apps to the card just won't die. As I understand it most of the app installs to the card but some of it installs to internal memory limiting you to about 250 apps. Gmail works great. The first few emails didn't notify properly but now the @ sign stays on the status line and the power LED blinks.

10. tman065

tman065 New Member

Nov 11, 2008
    There is a capacitive stylus somewhere on the market. I've seen a pic, and it has a large, flat tip about the size of the pad of your finger.

As far as exchange email and Android, I will let you know. I have a MotoDroid inbound. From what I've read, the best route to go is to use a 3rd party app like "Touchdown" which syncs calendar, contacts, tasks, and mail, of course. Touchdown is $20, I think, but has a a free 5 day trial.

11. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
  12. kalina

kalina New Member

Mar 16, 2007
  13. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    its not the same one
    although the one you linked does say works for the Hero, you can give it a shot and if not always send it back

14. kalina

kalina New Member

Mar 16, 2007
    I really like the look of the HTC stylus. I did some surfing I found two sites that sell it (using that therm loosely). :dft002:zombie They have a price for it, but don't actually have the product and really have no idea when they will be getting it. A bit of a bummer. :016:upset

15. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    bleh thats a real shame

are you still considering the one at the store here?

16. kalina

kalina New Member

Mar 16, 2007
    Quite possible, but I also pre-ordered the hero version of the HTC capacitive stylus.

#15 kalina, Feb 4, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2013
  17. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    oh good glad you were able to pre-order

did it give you an ETA for when you should get it?

#16 n99hockey, Feb 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2013
  18. kalina

kalina New Member

Mar 16, 2007
    Nah. But a site in England is expecting their shipment on the 15th. I figured they'll charge my card around the 20th or so. I'll keep you posted. :)

19. kalina

kalina New Member

Mar 16, 2007
    Received the captivity stylus

Finally received my stylus in the mail. HTC Captivity stylus. It's actually pretty nice and worth the wait. The plastic tip doesn't look like there is a lot keeping it connected, so I've tried to be gentle with it. The tip is a clear circle about the size of a shirt button with a red dot in the center. The dot helps align/center the stylus on what you'd like to select. It is useful for selecting some of the tiny links on websites or programs that do not resize (using the pinch method). It does take some getting use to. At the moment, my texting is faster without it. One huge plus is that it makes texting my boss on the way to work a bit easier. At $21 + $5 S&H, I'd purchase again. Beware back orders and long waits. FYI: I think this product could bring those with larger fingers back to the touch screen.

20. Weapondrift

Gold

Feb 1, 2008
    argh! I wish i would have seen this thread a few days ago! I have an extra stylus I would have given you >.<

Are you still "up-in-the-air" about the android or have you decided yet?