1. Everything Android is a community forum that makes it easy to ask questions about anything and everything Android. It's 100% free and no registration required (though we think it would be awesome if you joined our community). Our community of experts are here to help.
    Dismiss Notice

Too many phones

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by My-Droid, Dec 29, 2010.

1. My-Droid

Bronze

Jun 16, 2010

Sponsored Ad

I have noticed that all the phones are starting to look alike. I realize that you can only make so many different designs. With that in mind, if a company can't come up with something original, why bother to continue to re-create the same things. For instance, if you look at all of the HTC phones, they all look the same! Why do we need another one that looks like the other, but has a different name?

2. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Its not about the look, its about the guts, all laptops more or less look the same, same for desktop PC's.

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. Alkali

Bronze

Dec 17, 2010
    Even Master designer Apple kind of look same. Very little difference from the 1st to the iPhone4.
    Sent from my Desire HD using Everything Android App

5. Alkali

Bronze

Dec 17, 2010
    What matters is what we have in the brain not the looks per say.

Sent from my Desire HD using Everything Android App

6. My-Droid

Bronze

Jun 16, 2010
    If our brains mattered so much, we wouldn't need 'smart' phones. LOL!

How much differences are there on the insides to make such a difference? Well, the latest VZW HTC is supposed to have a kick stand!

7. bberryhill0

Silver

Feb 14, 2009
    I recently saw my first Incredible. Stock. Blows my rooted, over clocked, custom ROMed Eris away. Most people probably wouldn't notice the difference but I sure did.

Swyped from my Eris running xtrSense 3.

8. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Processors, camera MP, front camera, LTE (coming soon), size of screen and soon there will be dual core processors. Its going to be exciting to say the least.

My wife had the Eris, then I got her the Fascinate, blew it out of the water, she was floored at the different in speeds.

9. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    ^^^^ok.....SPAM!!^^^ (Scott, I will text you if this is still here! I may be tipsy, but none of this poster's reply's make sense!)

Sent from my Droid using Everything Android App

10. My-Droid

Bronze

Jun 16, 2010
    Who are you talking about sherri?

11. My-Droid

Bronze

Jun 16, 2010
    How many different ways can you configure the guts of a phone?

I guess it's just me. There seems to be too many phones coming out; flooding the market with too many choices. There is a line between offering choices and confusing the consumer.

12. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    Love it, Scott! (I have his phone number, and I am not afraid to use it!) JK!

13. n99hockey

Feb 7, 2007
    Was a spammer post that I removed.

14. sherri

Gold

Jun 29, 2007
    I swear I didn't take my Ambien yet!

15. Neutrino

Bronze

Sep 30, 2009
    Your observations are on-track, My-Droid. Android platforms have really converged in terms of offerings for various features and functionality. It may very well become only a matter of picking the network that works best for you.

I've been on an eBay kick and trying out the different Verizon droid models. Functionality is pretty consistent over the DInc, Droid X and Fascinate. How the device feels in my hand (tend to drop the Droid X too much when using it one-handed), the UI (or lack of UI), and display. I keep going back and forth between devices trying to understand which features are most important to me. Not easy, by any sense of the imagination. Best recommendation is to think about how you use the device, and prioritize what is important. For me screen size is important. Too small, and the icons seem cramped. Too large, I tend to drop the device.

My next conquest should have a Tegra 2 processor, LTE and AMOLED screen. Kind of narrows the playing field. But, that is what I've grown comfortable with.

16. My-Droid

Bronze

Jun 16, 2010
    I saw the Motorola Atrix on the Wired site. Where is the line where a phone stops being a phone? Two processors? Hopefully, more ram will be available so I can play Battlefield: Bad Company 2 while at drill! But, seriously, does a phone need so much?

17. My-Droid

Bronze

Jun 16, 2010
    Okay. I thought she was talking about me.

18. softspirits

Bronze

May 2, 2007
    I think when all but maybe the quarter inch perimeter of the face is a glass screen, they do tend to look alike. However I would hope that when u turn it on u can see a big difference.

The guts are what u r buying. Oh, and coming from my 4.3" masterpiece, SIZE MATTERS!

~Softspirits~ Sent from my HTC Evo using the Everything Android app

19. My-Droid

Bronze

Jun 16, 2010
    I guess you are right. I remember a time when you could tell what phone someone was using by just looking at it. Now, you REALLY have to look at a phone to tell what it is.