Took the plunge.....

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid Phones' started by sherri, Jun 20, 2012.

1. sherri

Gold

I have been using my OG Droid since release date (November 6, 2009 to be exact, which is pathetic to know that, and as my kids put it..."just sad"....)

That being said, I am now using a brand new Razr Maxx. I was going to wait, but the pictures of the Galaxy SIII are (in my opinion) "ugly". I have been eligible for upgrade since last July, but there was nothing that thrilled me. I was reluctant to give up a keyboard, but I think I used mine on the OG Droid about 4 times in past year.

OG Droid is still on Froyo (officially), but I had mine running rooted with Steel Droid (GB 2.3.7)

Loved it, but was having issues for a while, namely that when phone would ring, I would answer it, hear the caller, but phone would continue to ring....Also, SMS was sporadic (stock and applications....)

I also wanted to preserve my unlimited data.

So far, phone is amazing. Motorola has always been solid for me, from original Startac to Q (which I refuse to part with) to my Droid and daughter's Droid 2....

Trying to decide if I want to root it, just to get rid of bloat (Verizon actually outdid themselves on this.....) About 20 at last count....I hid 15 of them in drawer, deleted the 3 I could, and left a few alone.

I keep reading about ICS being officially pushed to this, and it may cause inability to root (for about as long as the first hacker to get it.....) Currently, rooting seems simple (did it on Droid and Tablet....) and there is a recovery method with a "save root" option to avoid this. It supposedly will let you receive OTA updates, but preserve root before you accept it...

One major benefit of the rooted Droid was ability to tether tablet to it in car. No root is needed on this phone for that purpose, as "there is an app for that"....So I am torn.

Suggestions?

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

• Like Like x 2
  2. n99hockey

I rooted my dads RAZR in 5 minutes (well maybe longer but that sucker has a long ass boot time)... He has me reroot everytime he gets an OTA, not a big deal.

Load MotoDrivers, load root kit and done.

Rooting will allow you to get the OTAs as long as you dont put a custom recovery on it.

3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. stevetaz

Mazel Tov Sherri!

I am in no position to offer advice about rooting, but I did want to congratulate you and ask if maybe you will be spending a bit more time over here with us now? At least for a little while? Been awhile.....

5. sherri

Gold

Miss me, Steve? Lol! I am always here, but there have been more apps posted than questions or need for help....Since I don't use the apps, I don't comment.

Razr rooted and booted! Scott, mine boots in about 20 seconds...Also installed Voodoo, which preserves root on updates....

Thanks, guys!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

6. n99hockey

Voodoo?
    Does that work on the original RAZR? Maybe I should have my dad install that. Is it a stand alone app or something to flash?

7. sherri

Gold

It is part of the Droid Utility I used to root, but it is a stand alone app as well. It is free, so if you can't find it, let me know.

8. sherri

Gold

14 hours battery, 50% battery....same usage as my Droid. In fact, took Droid off charger same time today. Did not use it. Down to 5%....

9. stevetaz

Someone sounds pleased......I would kill for that battery life.....

10. sherri

Gold

Battery life is definitely a major plus. Over 15 hours today and still at 30%. A lot of use today.

Still getting used to it. Non-removable battery has me nervous. When OG Droid would freeze, battery pull was a lifesaver. Ringtones aren't "sticking", and since it is rooted, nervous about OTA update which seems imminent.

11. PacoJr67

Bronze

Imminent meaning it's started already I think

Sent from my Xoom using Everything Android

12. sherri

Gold

Yup. I am confused about the update process though. Some forums say if you are just rooted but running stock, you can update as OTA is released. Others say you should unroot.

Suggestions?

13. dgray636

Bronze

Don't know, but I wouldn't think there is a difference. I have the regular RAZR, and have yet to receive the OTA update yet. Not rooted. And the quick thing to do since there is no battery pull is to hold power and down volume simultaneously for 10 seconds. Will reset.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Everything Android

14. PacoJr67

Bronze

As long as you're on stock software you'll still get the update, but it will unroot you. It looks like; for the moment, the update is being pushed out in batches instead of being available for pull (in check for updates) all at once

Sent from my Xoom using Everything Android

15. sherri

Gold

Thanks, guys. I heard it will unroot, but I can reroot with the utility. Why won't Voodoo work? I thought I can save su file using this, unroot, install update when notified, then use voodoo from my application drawer to return to root....

May just manually do this later. Everything I have read states the latest "leak" is the official OTA.

Is anyone (besides Scott's Gnex ) running ICS? Certain features on GB are missing, as they were on OG Droid. Namely, the ability for led light to blink with screen on! Still needed when using full screen. I rooted OG Droid just for that reason. It was available on Eclair, removed in Froyo and GB. ROM's enabled it again....anything based on CM enabled it....

16. EQBob

Silver

Sherri,
    My phone is on ICS. Stock. I'd answer your question if I could, but I don't understand most of your abbreviations... OG, GB, CM, Gnex, etc...

17. stevetaz

Ooooh Ooooh, let me take a shot....
    OG - I believe this is Original Generation Droid (The first) AKA 'Original Gangsta', but that doesn't seem to fit here
    AKA - Also Known As
    GB - GingerBread OS
    CM - CyanogenMod custom firmware
    Gnex - Galaxy Nexus
    ICS - Ice Cream Sandwich OS
    ROM - Read Only Memory
    SMS - Short Message Service
    OTA - Over The Air
    EQBob - Hmmmmm....Not sure on this one

How did I do? :cool:

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. sherri

Gold

Excellent work, Steve. EQBob is Everything Q Bob .... yes, we go way back!

19. sherri

Gold

People are complaining about battery life with the ICS update. I purposely left mine off charger last night. Wanted to see how long it would last....at 40% now....Moderate usage. Taking charger to work because I want to charge it before gym....

Only issue I have is I want the led to blink with screen ON. Same issue that I rooted OG DROID for.

If anyone knows a ROM that does this, please let me know! Thanks!

Attached Files:

20. EQBob

Silver

People are going to be complaining about battery life until the end of time. It will never be good enough for them and most people don't stop to tweak their settings or recognize what they're doing to impact their battery life.

Not directed at you Sherri....just a general observation...

21. stevetaz

/start rant....
    I understand your comment Bob, but while I agree on one level I do believe the manufacturers, software makers and the powers that be in provider companies should be doing something to get a system to the point a phone can last a full day without requiring a charge. I don't expect an Android device to last like a BlackBerry because the Android does so much more. The screen is bigger, there is so much more available in the way of applications and the hardware is more capable. All that requires juice though.

When you say tweak settings.....I have tweaked as much as I choose to. I have no animated icons, I don't have a weather app connected 24/7, I keep FaceBook disconnected until I start it and I don't use Twitter. No BT and WiFi. My screen brightness is low enough that I can't see the screen in daylight. I extended the period for getting mail too. I can't get more that 7am - 4pm without charging and that is unacceptable.

I can get 24 hours, but I have to turn the screen down to a level I can't see it in a room with two candles lit, turn off email and pull it down four times a day, but only for three accounts. If you don't get my point, in order to get a full day out of this smartphone I have to set it up like it is a StarTac dumbphone.

And don't tell me if I root the phone and dump the bloatware and then go into the table to change this setting.....blah, blah, blah. I shouldn't have to. I should be able to open the box and use the phone to help me work and to live life. Not that I have to be a part-time engineer to get it to come close to help me as long I change this, this and this to fool the phone.

What is the point of a smartphone if I can't use it to prove it deserves the name?
    /end rant....